New to buying of pickups.. pls help!!

peagee

I'm playing mostly rock stuff.. looking to try and get the Foo Fighters, Dramagods kind of sound.. clean and distortion-wise..

Hope you guys can help me.. my stuff is like a yamaha sg500b (i guess it's 2 humbuckers on them) and deucetone rat.. thanks!

Buying pickups is like buying clothes. There are two ways of buying.
1. Buy an expensive famous pickup becuase they are famous then your mind will trick you into thinking your tone rocks now.
Just like you buy an expensive Armani t-shirt, not many people can tell the difference but you think you look damn good.

2. Realise there are limitations in what your pickup can do. Like maybe not enough string definition, or too trebly or whatnot. Then search and research for the pickup that will satisfy your needs.
Just like buying a thick jacket cos you're going to canada for a tour in june. You'll have to find out if it will keep you warm enough, and all that.

Unfortunately the lure of the dark side (option 1) is very great and many people have fallen for it. May the force be with you dude.

You may wanna play around with your pickup height first.
Dont go straight into buy a pickup, play around with your pedals, Eq, Guitar volume,Guitar tone, Pickup height etc etc.
Then if you still cant get the tone you want..
Try try try as many pickups as you can.
i Find that Sounds samples arent really reliable :)

i think toyota pickups are better than nissan pickups, but i heard kia got pickups also, u shd test drive them to find out first lar. muahahaha

ok, serious.

maybe u shdnt change ur pickups yet. hv u tried various types of stomp boxes or effects to get the sound u like? i personally think its easier to tweak the pedals, rather than change the pups. or rather, change the amps first......

thanks for viewing my 60c worth of cowdung, bullshit that is.

here's a peek at what Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters was using in 2000. this can be your reference point if you are dead set on getting his tone.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/379/

so.. you use a Yamaha SG500B - that can almost pass off as a Gibson SG (which is what Dave Grohl uses).

that said, i doubt you can nail the tone he has even if you have all the gear he used back then. you can get close to it with good amps and effects (EQ would be useful)

honestly, even with an excellent pickup upgrade, it wont help much if you have a budget amp - it just won't sound like what you want. what amp do you use by the way (skarly a Mesa Triple Rectifier!)

so either you get a good amp (makes a huge difference in tone), or get effects that can get you nearer there, before you explore pickup swaps

think abt what u want to acheive regarding your guitar tone and go talk to guitar tech/'modder' some stuff best ask ard first..if u set ur eyes or ears on something really test it out extensively..make it worth every cent

How bout Dimarzio's Pickup Picker, not the best, but at least it's one place to start.

MrE: Nice, new avatar. Somehow it appeals to me.

Phil said:
How bout Dimarzio's Pickup Picker, not the best, but at least it's one place to start.

MrE: Nice, new avatar. Somehow it appeals to me.

dude... that came across as slightly gay. :lol:

but anyway... this avatar is a better representation of the real me.

i'll stop there before i get all arty, philosophical, and emo about who i really am.

Damn you! It was just an honest, clean, complement! :lol:

I just think it looks nicer that the neck and pink-bear avatar you previously had.

hey guys, sorry to off track, i just bought one Ad30vt amp, sounded really nice, but after 2 days the sound like gotten abit muddy leh, when using the neck pickup on distortion, the sound tend to buzz on the thick E string, issit becus of the tube failing or wat? but the tube still glows... btw i using an epi les paul, in Sg which guitar shop got sell those tubes ah?

sounded nice on the first 2 days without any of the problems your sayin?? or u realise theres this problem after playin for 2 days.. if it sounded ok in the fes 2 days den theres a problem.. den the obvious answer is the bring it back lo..

Back