music lessons for village kids. ( need suggestions)

hifi_killer

I'll be going to a remote village in Cambodia under the youth expedition project. And one of the things that my team of volunteers is gonna do is to teach the kids over there .

So, i was thinking of conducting music lessons.
I need some help brainstorming some lessons ideas. The lesson has to engage many students (class size ~20) simultaneously as possible, and it can be wrapped up meaningfully within 2 hours. My team can bring over at most 2-3 guitars, i have only 1 session of 2 hours with the kids.

the kids are in their teens.

would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:
20+ students in 2 hours is going to be tough. You can teach them to sing some simple songs.

Or if you could teach them how to make simple musical instrument and earn a living, that would be awesome.

There are 3 objectives
1. Build a low cost house
2. Make soap and distribute them to the villagers
3. conduct supplementary lessons (science, humanities, arts, music, health education and 1st aid)

i'm thinking of splitting the 2 hrs into 2x 1hr sessions

the Operation Hope people told us that cambodian kids are interested in guitar lessons. but we only have so few guitars, maybe i'll bring along ukuleles too.

I'm not being sacastic down here. :)
But a few suggestions,

1) Teach Recorder - Simple to learn and teach. Everyone of us learn recorder in primary sch.
2) Teach stroking for drums. Like storm or strikeforce like that. U can use pails pots and pans. Easy to find stuff.

Cheers! Peace :)

2hrs, 20people, 3guitars. I don't think that's feasible, seriously. Maybe you'd like to get some people to sponsor their cheap guitars for the lesson. Or even better, get people to give their unwanted guitars. At least after the 2hours, they still can practice.

Back