Multi Efx Pedals vs Individual Pedals

JapxMetal

Hi guys, saw this thread on talkbass just now and was wondering what do fellow softies prefer?
Multi efx pedals for the wide range of effects in a small package?
Or individual pedals that sound better than multi efx pedals but can only do one effect?
Multi efx pedals cost around $400 for a good one I think and individual pedals around $150 each.

So what do you guys prefer =D?

some facts
1. if you have a pedal board, and 1 pedal screws up you just remove the pedal and you're done. if the multifx screws up 2 minutes before a show you're fcked
2. if you positioned OD pedal to a Fuzz pedal it sounds dift than a Fuzz pedal into an OD pedal. individual effects lets your creativity do the talking and you can mix match pedal to get dift sound. you're stuck with a multifx
3. a multifx has a very limited range whereas an individual pedal the range is better and wider
4. a multifx is easier to carry around
5. the ME-50B boss multifx, the way you reset the setting back to factory is to plug in the power while the fx is still on. scary?
6. your creativity are pretty much limited to what a multifx can throw back at you.

With the Line 6 M-series or Zoom G3/B3, I see it the other way around. With these multifx you have a massive range of choices and the flexibility to change the order in which you have them, all saved at different banks/presets. To have the same level of control at your feet with individual boxes you'll need something special like the Carl Martin Octa-switch... and even then you've got just 8 vs 100+ presets. (I don't count common loopers because they simply save on tap dancing, not changing the order of effects.)

Downside to these multifx is you don't have the ease of control as with individual boxes, and the M-series and G3/B3 are already the most accessible interface on the market. Individual boxes you simply reach for a knob and turn it. M5/9 you have just one display, so you can only tweak one effect at a time. M13 you have multiple displays but still within each bank (each display) you're stuck like with the M5/9. G3/B3 has it a bit better but its scenes/presets aren't as flexible as M9/13's (2 and 3 banks per slot within each scene). The Pods and Boss units are even tougher to navigate, and the Pods are more of amp/cab simulators than multifx.

Multifx are great when you have a fixed setlist or repertoire and you know your presets by heart or have a list to easily refer to. Set up all the presets at home / in the studio, when you hit the stage they're all just a stomp or two away. Minimal tap dancing.

Multifx become a double-edged sword when you're jamming with the band. Rest of the band waits for you while you navigate the maze of menus to change an effect or parameter. But if it suddenly seems like that certain effect you never ever use might finally have found a part it'd sound nice in, it's available there to whip out; as compared to putting it off till the next jam when that particular box you wanted was left at home because you didn't think you'd use it.

And then it comes down to the neverending analog vs digital debate. For me, modulation/time effects sound fine digital, the analog emulators do their job. But for dirt they must be analog, no way about it. Digital sounds sterile.

Putting this all together, I like it mixed, a small but flexible multifx together with individual boxes. Multifx for the occasional little things, dedicated boxes for the frequently-used and always-ons.

Really detailed responses here. Didn't hear of the positioning of the pedal= different sound.
I do like having lots of effects in one package but it seems too confusing at the same time.
Had a behringer v-amp 2 and that was a little hard to get used to.
Cheesedaele stated about the ease of control and display of the multifx. This is what puts me off multiefx since I have over 30 efx yet I can only use one at a time.
My opinion is that Multiefx is for beginners/weekends warriors wanting to try out different efx.
Individual pedals are for the people who gig regularly (2/month) as they cannot afford to have their pedalboard f**king up.
Alot of people say individual pedals sound better than multiefx pedals, but is it enough to justify the price difference?

i will show you this video of someone playing dubstep using m9,

i guess at the end of the day is how you used the fx and utilise it that is my opinion, you might not be able to do wad individual pedal but multi fx, can help to "simplify" your rig if you use it correctly. Experiment and TONS OF CASH is the key haha

Last edited:
digital = sterile seems to be a pretty outdated perception, I played my bass and guitar through the POD HD500, sterile is definitely not how I would describe the high gain amps. Clips of the Axe-FX are even more impressive. Digital is definitely the way to go for me, everything is compact and easily accessible, easy to setup too. Not to mention new features can simply be downloaded nowadays, so its always improving.

Didn't hear of the positioning of the pedal= different sound.
Consider a boost + drive.
- If it's boost>drive, with both on you'll get a more saturated drive, and how loud it is can be controlled by the drive's level control. If you run the drive alone, you get one dirt setting, and then you get the harder saturation by then adding the boost, as if you were turning up the gain. You can still use the boost by itself to boost your clean signal.
- If it's the other way around, drive>boost, you'll get just one drive sound, but you can have it at two different levels, one louder when the boost is also on. Maybe for switching between chorus and verse.

I have over 30 efx yet I can only use one at a time.
Actually with the G3/B3 and M9 you can have up to three running simultaneously ("stacked"), M13 up to four. Each of the three switches have dedicated displays and controls on the G3/B3, so it's most accessible of the lot. M9 has 3 "slots" and each "slot" you have two "pedals" to choose from, switching between the two. M13 is the same system, but with 4 "slots" and 3 "pedals" per "slot".

Individual pedals are for the people who gig regularly (2/month) as they cannot afford to have their pedalboard f**king up.
I've actually seen quite a few pub guitarists with Boss/Roland multifx or M-series. I guess they have a fixed repertoire, playing the same stuff over and over and presets are so much easier than tap dancing every song. (Tap dancing has "fwah"-factor but in a pub virtually nobody bothers, really.) It's much easier to carry, which is really great when your gigs ends at 2am and you just want to get home and crash. And it's much cheaper.

digital = sterile seems to be a pretty outdated perception, I played my bass and guitar through the POD HD500, sterile is definitely not how I would describe the high gain amps. Clips of the Axe-FX are even more impressive. Digital is definitely the way to go for me, everything is compact and easily accessible, easy to setup too. Not to mention new features can simply be downloaded nowadays, so its always improving.

Glad to hear you've found what fits you. I haven't actually tried the HDs. I was really disappointed when they were released with no dedicated bass sims the way they had at least on the X3... okay, the Bassman is one, but overall it looks to me like they don't care about their bass-playing market anymore. That ruled out the HDs for me. Has it changed? I haven't been keeping up. As for dirt boxes, L6 runs the same dirt simulations in the HDs as in the their Ms, and trying those didn't do it for me. And I did do a blind test with a friend's help.

If budget weren't a concern AxeFX would be sweet but otherwise I can't justify it :p Down within the more reasonable range, digital still can't stand up to analog for me. Once again, it's an endless debate, to each his own.

Yea I dream of having the ease and convenience of digital effects too. Can't deny it wins hands down in that department. For now I don't mind wrestling with all the patch and power cables... maybe that'll change eventually.

If budget weren't a concern AxeFX would be sweet but otherwise I can't justify it :p Down within the more reasonable range, digital still can't stand up to analog for me. Once again, it's an endless debate, to each his own.

to put it simply some loves blond and some loves brunette

Glad to hear you've found what fits you. I haven't actually tried the HDs. I was really disappointed when they were released with no dedicated bass sims the way they had at least on the X3... okay, the Bassman is one, but overall it looks to me like they don't care about their bass-playing market anymore. That ruled out the HDs for me. Has it changed? I haven't been keeping up. As for dirt boxes, L6 runs the same dirt simulations in the HDs as in the their Ms, and trying those didn't do it for me. And I did do a blind test with a friend's help.

Yea I dream of having the ease and convenience of digital effects too. Can't deny it wins hands down in that department. For now I don't mind wrestling with all the patch and power cables... maybe that'll change eventually.

Well it has changed... a little haha. Now the HD has a sim for the Ampeg basss amp as well as a vocal preamp. The ampeg is really sweet, the bassman works very well as well. There are now a lot of deep edit parameters for both amp and cab so the tunability is theoretically unlimited. I guess the final frontier is really custom IRs for the HD, which I think will be a long time coming, but for now I am really quite satisfied.

Thanks for all the input!
Looks like multiefx has gained up on individual.
But then due to fears of it breaking down I shall stick to individual!

use stomp and also mfx. after hrs of searching and playing around i roughly know want i want to hear. ;p and of course ease for giging and touring i know have a very simple but effective gigging, jamming and touring rig B3+G30 on a small custom board + a custom made daisy chan measure perfect for the b3+g30. DI for the B3 is doable for live and g30 makes running around the stage and set-up with ease. it slip into my gig bag and it slips into my hand carry.

but for recording its a totally different animal, most sound engineer got what plug-in and what not for re-amping etc..etc. so a huge bootek board not usually used lol.

Back