modding guitar

cold_static544

hmmm, just a short question, where do i go if i wanna mod my guitar? like stripping the finish, refinishing, changing pots, bridge n stuff like that.

why dont you finalise what type of mod you wanna do first

change pots? wiring mod? or body mod?

changing electronics and parts are quite easy... hard part in modding guitar is cosmetics... refinnishing, drilling holes, filling holes, creating cavity, installing LEDs, installing disco lights, installing lightsabre, installing machine gun... those are hard... haha

i think for the harder parts GC is the place to go... but be prepared to pay a premium sum of $$$ for complicated cosmetic mods... haha unless u wanna try DIY

ugh there's no one competent in sg that i noe of who does refinishing using poly. for french polish there's malcolm and that's it. electronics = beez from guitar77

namle said:
why dont you finalise what type of mod you wanna do first

change pots? wiring mod? or body mod?

+1

You gotta do this otherwise, you'll be running around in the dark.

All the changes will affect your guitar's tone, playability, appearance, etc etc..

Give us some ideas of what you want to do.

alrite, i intend to strip the finish of my guitar, and get a natural finish.

intend to change PUs,

and my bridge, intend to block the floyd.

btw, im still kinda new to all this, so might need some help.

wah why are you ripping up your guitar so much?!

why would you want to strip the finish?!

wait as said which one do you want to do first

stripping itself would be quite easy provided you have the correct equipment and skills. All it requires is sanding. I wouldn't recommend chemicals coz they are extremely dangerous.

Hearing that you got a floyd I should guess it's somewhat a superstrat style guitar? An electric palm sander would be great for stripping off everything since the top is flat and not curved. Just go slow and not work in any area too long.

Note: Please do yourself and your guitar a favour by practising on scrap wood first.

Visit projectguitar.com for tutorials on using the palm sander.

Assuming it's a natural oil finish that wouldn't be too difficult. Danish oil works well but be aware of the different varieties containing linseed oil or tung oil or whatsoever. Just apply on a soft lint-free cloth and buff.

If you want to clear coat your guitar with lacquer you can try aerosal cans, and none in Singapore is of acceptable quality off the shelves. I've not tried this but I believe you can buy automative-grade lacquer from specialized car repair shops in sg. Those should harden fine. Do remember not to spray on a rainy day as due to humidity moisture will get trapped between the layers of coat and cause whitish hazing.

There is also a wipe-on poly by minwax found in Home-fix. Same application as danish oil. Obviously this won't be as good as a factory-finish. Then sand even working to at least grade 2000 sandpaper and buff with autoglym paint renovator followed by super resin polish. I've personally tested these 2 products on my PRS and they work fine. Just go light on the sanding and everything should be fine. (This applies to all lacquer spray-on finishes) It's too much to compile here.

Please visit www.reranch.com for the tutorial Guitar Refinishing 101.

Alternatively, you can invest in an air compressor + spray gun set for really professional results but you must have the prior skills first. This set up is costly and should run you in around/exceeding $500.

Does it sound like it's taking more trouble than necessary already? Keep the finish on seriously. It will save you some major headache and heartache should anything go wrong. Besides, your guitar will sound different with an oil finish. This may or may not be a good thing. I hope I've discouraged you enough :wink:

Blocking the floyd and changing pups are more conventional things ppl do on their guitars. Not that easy to go wrong with =)

hmm ... i wont wanna ask WHY u wanna do this do that ... but there's quite alot to b done on your guitar ... it could cost u quite alot ...

if that's the case, why not buy a new guitar with that kinda money ???

just my thot ... :D

cold_static544 said:
alrite, i intend to strip the finish of my guitar, and get a natural finish.

intend to change PUs,

and my bridge, intend to block the floyd.

btw, im still kinda new to all this, so might need some help.

Bro - U strip finish off? Wat if the wood grains sux?

Block the floyd? kinda defeats the purpose of having a floyd

Why dont u just order parts & do up a custom guitar to yer specs?

And sell yr existing guit

Whats your current guitar? If it a cheapo guiatr and what to experiment go ahead why not? But if its at least a medium range guitar $600 - $900 new. Might as well sell the guitar u have and get 1 closer to what u want. It might be cheaper actually.

U may want to consider the Ibanez sz320. This has a natural finish, hardtail, 25.1 scale, duncan designed pups which are not too bad. U can always change the pups later on if u want. Available at sweelee for 750+ after 20% discount. Lists for 900.

Wow almondx you should write a book! Good stuff.

I personally find the-lighter fluid-propane torch approach much more fun and less damaging to the soft skin on my hands :wink:

Block a Floyd, why not...cheaper than converting the bridge or getting new guitar. You also get to use the fine tuners that most non-floyd guitars don't have.

Cheapo method: stick a piece of wood (or any rigid object you like 9V batteries, 1-inch steel bolt nut, those silly McDonalds toys, etc) in between the trem block and the guitar body until nothing moves

Pro rich Tweaker method: buy tremno-ol-O or whatever you call it and pay some one $$$ to professional drill holes in yur guitar to install it

check Stew Mac donald's - they have a new device - similar to the trem spring in Certain upmarket strat but this one allows the user to lock (hardtail) semi lock - (normal trem) or open (floyd) - all at the tsit of an allen key.... cant remember its name doe...

Gotoh made something like dat too. Trem Claw or something like that. I saw some Ibanez J-custom models that had them installed at the factory.

LimpPisskit said:
Wow almondx you should write a book! Good stuff.

I personally find the-lighter fluid-propane torch approach much more fun and less damaging to the soft skin on my hands :wink:

ah the heat gun treatment? :roll: haha very easy to get burn marks on the wood which would actually look GOOD if done artistically :lol:

yea as for writing a book. kiasu singaporeans like me just want to research all they can when it's concerning their first expensive guitar heh.

i modded 2 old Fender Jap in the past into an authenthic looking SRV No 1 - sold both...wanna do 1 more...

try it its fun...

Back