MIDI music production software

jeremyspk

Yo Softies! :)

I'm an aspiring music composer (ok hold back, don't laugh :p ) but have yet to expose myself to proper software (such as cubase) when comes to arranging using MIDI. Hmm I've been using garageband, though the MIDI portion of the software is okay, I believe there's more I can do with a software that is majored for MIDI stuffs.

Other than Cubase and SONAR, what is recommended when comes to USER-FRIENDLINESS and VERSATILITY?

I'm currently using a basic MIDI controller KORG 61P, any hardware to recommend?

*Not sure if this is the correction section, but I can't think of other section except the keyboard one. Please move this thread accordingly :)

oki, I have moved this to the Computer/Software section.

What do you feel lacking in your current set up?

Usually, upgrades will give you more tracks, more compatibility, more sound, more efx .... But if those are not what you are lacking, then it is of no use.

Don't know if you already have a nice monitor speaker but I definitely recommend getting one. It will make all your work sounds better! Ha..ha..

@soft

actually i don't really feel a lack right now. perhaps just the monitor speakers (currently using a ATH m40 to mix and my apple earphones to sorta verify :p . i wonder if it's accurate.)
and would be really glad if I can work around with more instruments, effects, etc.
even better, give me more loops to play with. I was considering apple Jam packs, but worth it? not cheap ley *currently a student*

the main reason i'm asking around is that i'm just thinking, if I'm intending to go pro and do production at the industry-level, I think i will need better equipment, right?

my current set up is really "humble"
1 macbook white using garageband
1 cu10 samson condenser mic + misc accessories
1 korg 61p midi controller
1 athm40
my guitars

should i go into professional softwares so that I can get more functionalities and learn to use them for the future? I don't know where to start :/

there is this midi program call Reason by propellor head. it isn't exactly user friendly, but take your time to learn it=D its pretty decent. or you can try ableton, which deals with both midi and audi files. these are the 2 midi programs i learn in sch and used it to do my project=D great softwares, try searching for it, you'll love it=D

reason and ableton?

both are available for mac platform righT? Okay i'll go try :)
are you in SP DMAT?

You can download the free trial version of Ableton to try it out first. They also have a more lightweight LE version which is a lot cheaper but lacking in some features (which you may not need right now).

I've heard good things about the new Logic 8 as well though I've yet to try it out myself.

Good luck with your discovery! :)

Best,
luke

When I got Sonar 7 PE and Logic Studio was at the same price tag, Logic Studio win hand down. Full Cubase 4 is too ex. Now Sonar 8 ,dunno the bundle inside. Major drawback of Logic Studio is still 32 bit application, only it EXS'sII plugin can access above 4 gig ram. Most will do rewire so that you can use toner weight Halion or NI plugin.

Each DAW software has it's own strength and weakness. We choose them according to our needs and what we use the software for most of the time.

The latest DAW comparison is now out (including Sonar 8 in the review). This website has been doing detailed comparison between DAW software for a while. It's not perfect - but as I mentioned before in previous threads, this is the most detailed comparison I can find (and as objective as possible).

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/shootout/shootout_summary.htm

Last edited:
Hi softies,
thanks for the input!
I got myself LOGIC EXRESS 8 and would eventually upgrade to the full version LOGIC STUDIO, in future, when my wallet permits HEHE.

I'm more of a musician (creative side of music) than the sound engineers who are more technical. And from some of the peeps and reviews, logic is pretty much good for musicians. Maybe pro tool would do a better job in better sounds? Hmmm.. but i'm not interested.
Used logic express 8 for a bit, wow, looks professional hehe (compared to garageband) but still have the GB kind of interface and more, not bad really =D
wow everything in logic becomes more complicated, but that means more flexibility too - gonna learn as much as possible from sound engineers regarding the DSP and stuffs :)
So far i've used the studio drums (WOW!!) using midi and the piano (WOW WOW!!).. satisfied liao :p

It's time for better sounds in my music! *goes back to my humble studio*

Glad you made the jump for Logic. It may appear daunting at first as Logic's environment looks complex compared to the other DAW software. But once you get used to it, you'll find that it's really very powerful.

And Logicdroid is the expert in Logic in this forum.

Absolutely true. There is no necessity for any other plugins with the suite of plugins that comes with Logic.

Give MagicScore Maestro a try. Though you'd most likely have to convert your audio to midi, this program can read data from MusicXML, MIDI and Karaoke files, for music notation and recording it's the best tool I've seen.

Back