midi help

input_output

could have started this on the drums/percussion thread... but it looks dead.......... anyway. i got a zoom rt-123 and was wonderin if it was possible to make the pc trigger the sounds from the rt-123 by usin midi. there is a midi prt at the back but still not sure how to configure the thing

Attachments

• courses-tehnical-theatre-programmes.jpg
    courses-tehnical-theatre-programmes.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 513
The MIDI port is a MIDI IN (I think there´s no MIDI Out for this model).

Therefore you can control this drum machine from an external seqiencer or keyboard.

1) Make sure the channel matches on both units.

2) The keyboard range is correct with respect to the note assignment on the drum machine.

I´m afraid you have to read the manual for more details.

If you ahve lost the manual, I believe that there is a PDF version of it on the net. Just search for it on Yahoo.

jk

Attachments

• ExperienceEAD10.jpg
    ExperienceEAD10.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 538
luckily for me zoom has its manuals online... how muc does a midi cable cost anyway... where can i get one other than citymusic?

Attachments

• we_love_jazz_open_call.jpg
    we_love_jazz_open_call.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 572
ESI ROMIO 1in/2out USB MIDI cable

HI, You can try this

romio_full01.jpg

Specifications.
- 1 In/ 2 Out, 32 MIDI channels
- Complete cable type body from PC end to MIDI ends
- High-speed connection to USB-equipped PC or Mac
- USB powered - requires no external power supply
- MIDI activity indicator for each port
- Support true Plug-and-Play installation
- Extremely compact size (83(W) x 52(D) x 28(H)mm)
- Supports for Windows®XP, 2000, ME, 2003 and MAC OS X

Price: US$ 69 + free delivery.. can get from Build Tech +603-7955 3699
or email : dennis@build.com.my New.

Build techlogy supply s/b is the distributor for ESI/Audiotrak others

No need to get such an expensive solution. A trip to sim lim square asking for midi cables will get you a serial port/midi cable under 20 bucks. 8 i think. That is if your soundcard has a serial out.

abt midi cable?

hi DEN,u menton the product is it like the yamaha ux16? anyway wat is serial out? thx ! :roll:

Hi, Ken_ding,

As what I know, if you ask about the "serial out" port , in computer, normally is refer to the COM port. COM port can use to connect serial model,serial printer and others.

Currenlty, latest NB don't have COM port anymore but PC still have serial port for certain reason.

The trend is go with USB which is Plug and Play.

Hope this help....

midi connection problem?

hi there, i am using the yamaha keyboard psr-290 with a pair of midi in and out? but the pc cant detect the midi?should i need to buy the yamaha ux16? wat if i dont wan to buy it can i buy others cheaper brand? how come? give me some advise! thx ! :lol:

Hi there,

As long as you have the MIDI In/Out port, you should be able to use the ESI ROMIO USB MIDI interface, It support Windows 98SE,XP and 2K.

hope this help.

Re: midi connection problem?

ken_ding85 said:
hi there, i am using the yamaha keyboard psr-290 with a pair of midi in and out? but the pc cant detect the midi?should i need to buy the yamaha ux16? wat if i dont wan to buy it can i buy others cheaper brand? how come? give me some advise! thx ! :lol:

What midi interface are you using? Give us some details of your setup.

OK, you have a slight problem.

US224 has only one pair of midi (in and out). Usually, it is used to control a digital audio workstation (ie mainly for recording audio with audio recording softwares). So the midi connection of your US224 should only connect with your PC OR your keyboard and not both, preferably the former.

Looks like you will need another midi interface - one that's at least 2x2. The connection should go like this:

1. US224 midi out -> PC midi interface midi in (1)
2. Keyboard midi out -> PC midi interface midi in (2)
3. PC midi interface out (1) -> US224 midi in
4. PC midi interface out (2) -> keyboard midi in

If your keyboard has a midi thru, they is another possiblity of connecting but I think your PSR does not have it.

So the solution is getting another midi interface.

Isn't the 224 usb enabled? And the DAW controls on that use go thru usb? The midi in/out are for instruments.

I had a psr before, and never could i make the damn thing send/receive midi. In the end i just gave it away since it was taking up space. The soundcard midi connection wasn't the problem, but ymmv.

Silly me. I was rushing off somewhere and didn't think. Yes, it is USB enabled and so midi signals to and from the PC are sent and received via USB. The midi in and out are for controlling extrenal midi intruments. But because there is no thru midi port in the US224, midi signals from other instruments coming in will stop there - it will not be sent to the PC. Hence another midi interface is required for sending midi signals directly from keyboards to PC.

midi help?

hello, then can i know wat midi interface should i get to make the midi possible ? thx for your help

Re: midi help?

ken_ding85 said:
hello, then can i know wat midi interface should i get to make the midi possible ? thx for your help

i believe you can still use your us-224. it's a midi-interface and sound card by itself. just hook it up to your psr. if your psr isn't sending or receiving signals then perhaps your psr needs to have the midi activated/enabled through the main config settings before it can be used. check your keyboard manual about that part..

hi ken_ding85

i don't think you need to buy another midi interface.

there's a setting on your psr-290 to send midi information out. It is on page 70 of your user manual. http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/PSR290E.pdf

oh, there's something about a PC mode on page 73 too. hmmmm...

okay, another joke from my midi days.

setup a midi lab sometime back with creative sound card and korg x5. about 6 station. after connecting all the audio/computer/midi cable, the midi is just not working. went through cakewalk's option and double checked x5's setting but still no midi.

then i look at the innocent creative midi cable. those that plug into the card's game port. the connector is labled IN and OUT. Well, you would have guessed that IN means 'into' the card and OUT means 'out' of the card right? Not his time!!!

I swap the midi cable at the keyboard's midi port and voila!

Tip of the story - swap the cable and try.

Back