Marcus Baylor Workshop/Masterclass thoughts

plainsman

greetings all,

I'd just like to invite those of you who attended the workshop / masterclass and your thoughts on marcus and what he shared.

I had prepared some questions beforehand, but improvised along the way if the question had been asked or he had answered it from a different angle.

one of the things I asked him was, is there an underlying theme in his drum journey? it could be a technical quality such as balance or symmetry, or a human quality such as freedom or truth.

his answer was that he was kind of searching for something, he had come from gospel background, studied jazz in university, now he's just trying to play and not thinking consciously. he said its important to be comfortable, and to strive to be free, so that he can play whatever he feels like playing at any point in time.

in both the masterclass and the workshop, he mentioned this thing twice, and I found it particularly noteworthy:

he said, when a bandleader or producer suggests an idea, such as a drum groove or a fill, take it as a good thing and not feel negatively. this is because he said, it means they think well of you that they think you can try something different.

While I do have some minor reservations about his explanation, I believe he means well because as drummers, we serve the music and our main tools are rhythm & dynamics.

If we see our drum arrangements at the individual level, it may not fit the overall producer/songwriter/arranger's vision.

After he finished the masterclass with a play along track, I told him that the one thing I feel strongest from him, is Joy. He plays with the kind of joyful abandon and innocence that can only come from someone so gifted and who has ascended to the highest levels at a young age.

In that sense I see a similarity with him and Akira Jimbo, who found worldwide success with Casiopea as a young man.

kindly do share your experiences/thoughts as well.

cheers!

Back