Man Kidal

detroit_red

Anyone watched the Lefthanded Dari Studio Satu encore the other day? He damn power siah... Anyone know any info on him? It's very hard to get vids/info on him ... It looks like he plays the strings wrong way up, like high e on top and low e at the bottom ...

yeah.. i watched him too.. skilled sia.. playing lefthanded, with strings the other way and plays like malmsteen summore FUH!.. but his sound of the guitar not dat nice.. I prefer the other guitarist's.. with the PRS he plays very nicely and smoothly.. the sound also power!

I consider myself lucky to have caught that programme, cos I don't usually watch Suria. Was just zapping through the channels when I caught a glimpse of this Malmsteen lookalike.
I love his style. Very Ritchie Blackmore. Anyone knows when he'll appear on TV again?

Man Kidal used to play in a malay rock band called Lefthanded in the 80's. i have the cassettes of the band somewhere. personally i find the earlier 3 albums the best. currently he is a sessionist in malaysia. (he is singaporean by the way) i've seen him perform on Suria too with Ramli Sarip. and i love his tone. can actually see what he used: ds-1, ch-1, dd-3.

heh old skool sial... then there Hilary Ang of Search as well. He was using Warmoth guitars in the 80's.

I met Man Kidal at Guitar Connection some time ago. He send his white Fender for repair..yup, the one he played on TV. Very nice guy...no air!!
I went over to Davis to try our Fataltube...he came in. I asked him to play some stuff but his finger tips were quite sore. It' s like his finger tips were slit wif a penknife.
That's how hard he 'grip' his strings & fingerboard.

Maybe GC can shed some lights on Man Kidal's visit to Guitar Connection. As for Hillary Ang, I believed his custom Warmoth was done by Kelvin.

wow, I don't understand why he would need to exert so much force when he plays. But maybe he uses very heavy guages.
out of point here, how was the Fatal Tube?

perhaps it was just a moderate force, but a very gruelling practice/performance session. Try playing hours in a row? Yeah that sore feeling perhaps.

purplehaze3691 said:
Hiliary Ang is with Head wind right , not Search

cheers

Ex-search dude ... hillary ang IS search ... oh man if i see man kidal infront of me ... i'll faint... hahaha that sounded gay

man kidal.. u go malaysia.. u ask everyone, even those hip hoper... sure they know who is him. in concert, people here his name only sure will come.

hillarry ang is ex search.. but that was very very very very long time ago, i think he quit search in 1987 or 88, forget..

now hillarry ang is playing for heavy metal band called CROMOK.. hilllarry ang damn power siak.. he is one of the best malaysia guitarist.

search through previous thread.. there is a thread posted by me dedicated to malaysian 80's rock or known locally is "ROCK KAPAK"

this thread ->

http://www.soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6955

got hillarry ang inside and lethanded.. alotzzz

edder said:
heh old skool sial... then there Hilary Ang of Search as well. He was using Warmoth guitars in the 80's.
yeah man, i remember he have a solo guitar instrumental album. (unheard of for a guitarist in this region!) i have the cassette somewhere... he posed with the Warmoth on the album cover if i'm not wrong. still remember it have maple neck, and if i'm not wrong too, the pickups were Evans. (like used by the blind bluesman Jeff Healey). and there is even a mention of 'thanks to my trusty DS-1' in the sleeve.

purplehaze3691 said:
Hiliary Ang is with Head wind right , not Search

cheers
Headwind is not Hillary, its a malay guitarist. i can't remember his name... let me think a while...

Jay_Clones said:
As for Hillary Ang, I believed his custom Warmoth was done by Kelvin.
i believe so too. because i still recall in the old location Guitar Workshop, he showed me a Warmoth guitar he said belong to Hillary's. but i was not interested and bought a 2nd hand Fender Strat-Plus instead. i paid $700 for it! in fact i bought quite a few strats from them! hmmmmm...

Hi Echoist
I have both Hillary (2 albums) and Man Kidal solo CDs. Very raw stuff...I luv it. It's pretty rare now. Samad of Lefthanded (the one wif PRS guitar on the show) is superb too. Samad managed to ask Paul Gibler to guest on two songs for dat album.

Just short info for all u old skool Mat Rockers...Rusty Blade is in studio now..somewhere in Indonesia. Album Probably out in December 05. Vocals most likely Indon. Khalid Mobin(Rusty;s guitarist) , IMHO, is on par wif Man & Hillary in terms of skills.
Wait for more news. Borhan of Urbankarma also noe abt this upcoming Rusty Blade album

Vaiyen abt dat Fataltube... juicy, thick Yngwie like overdrive. It was last year I think, when I got it but sold it off 'accidentally'. I tot of getting Fatal Tube Clone..same sound but more features (..like amp selection etc)

Back