korg monotron

Thanks for the lovely post, PatheinRaindropMoe

Korg Monotron shipping in mid August!

Price? We assure you that it will be extremely affordable! Do check in again soon!

Cheers!

Just bought mine on Saturday for $76 ($95 MSRP with Citymusic's 20% off). Cute little package, only slightly larger than an iPhone.

Had fun doing all the usual diu diu and robot sounds and general irritating my band members. Controls are pretty basic and intuitive (twist knob this way to get this sound). Basically a matter of finding the right permutation of knob directions to get the kind of sounds you want.

The real gem is its interaction with other tone generators (this covers everything from keyboards, guitars, mp3 player, even your metronome).

It has a Aux input (3.5mm stereo only) and acts as a filter. I stuck in my Kaossilator (another gem from Korg, thanks Citymusic), looped up some basic beats with melody lines and basically had a blast chopping up the sounds. You can intersperse it with other bleeps and bloops twiddling with the ribbon "keyboard" on the Monotron. The things being so small and so cheap you could probaby stack a few Monotrons together with a Kaossilator into a minimixer and have some fingering fun.

The built-in mini speaker is pretty cute too, reminiscent of those Casio mini-keyboards blasting those retro 8-bit sounds (yeah the one where you can choose bossa nova and has auto accompaniment). Yes when you plug in an audio source, it will play thru that speaker as well.

All in all, a great package for a great price. Looks cheap but very well made. If you're looking for a very basic filter, this is your best bet. There are lots of videos on Youtube detailing some songs, demos and even how to mod the Monotron.

Note there is no warranty from City Music for this product. Would be nice for them to offer it since they do so for items like the Pitchblack. No biggie, just don't drop it! I carry my kaossilator and monotron along with adaptor and cables in a small fanny pack for noise amusement on the go!

Back