Jack White And Jimmy Page Criticize ‘Guitar Hero’ Games

bigblackbear

Video games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band seem to be a hot-button issue with musicians. Some see it as a viable new way to market their music, others see it as little more than a video game, and some see it as the death of rock music as we know it. While that last part may be a bit of a stretch there are many musicians that haven’t warmed up to the newest trend in gaming and it doesn’t help if two of those musicians are Jack White (The White Stripes) and Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin).

NME.com reports that while speaking at a press conference for “It Might Get Loud”, an upcoming documentary that chronicles the careers of White, Page, and U2’s The Edge, the two said they don’t believe video games are the best way for kids to get into music and musical instruments.

“It's depressing to have a label come and tell you that ['Guitar Hero'] is how kids are learning about music and experiencing music,” says Jack White. He goes on to say that while it’s not his place to decide “which format people should get their music in… if you have to be in a video game to get in front of them, that's a little sad.”

Page had similar comments saying that he couldn’t imagine games like these offered any real educational value in terms of learning an instrument. He adds, “You think of the drum part that John Bonham did on Led Zeppelin's first track on the first album, 'Good Times Bad Times'. How many drummers in the world can play that part, let alone on Christmas morning?”

“It Might Get Loud” debuted at several film festivals in 2008 and 2009 and has been generally well received. It is slated to be released nationwide in the United States later this summer.

taken from UG.com

It's quite true. A lot of people play guitar hero not because they are interested in drums or guitars or bass. They just thought that it is the trend now and everyone is playing the Guitar hero, and it looks interesting and I shall play it.

And I agree to a large extent that “It's depressing to have a label come and tell you that ['Guitar Hero'] is how kids are learning about music and experiencing music,” “which format people should get their music in… if you have to be in a video game to get in front of them, that's a little sad.”

If really interested in making music, people should just get a real instrument and play it. So what if you can play Guitar hero until damn good..? It's just a video game...

Just my opinion.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Music brings the people who are 'against guitar hero' in that sense, happiness and satisfaction. Guitar hero brings other different people, happiness and satisfaction as well.

Is there really a very significant difference in the end result? This of course disregarding the business and money aspect, and also the publicity aspect, which should be disregarded as I don't see any logical way in which these can affect how to "decide which format people should get their music in…"

And since when was the enjoyment of music exclusive to people who claim they are able to play an instrument?

It is like saying Left4Dead or counterstrike is wrong because no one is actually killing zombies/terrorists.

Last edited:
tim,

Yes there is a difference. Playing real guitars and fake guitars make a whole lot of difference. Although both parties do feel happy, satisfied, this kind of happiness and satisfaction is very different. When you successfully played a song in Guitar hero, you feel accomplished and tired(because of your eyes sticking to the screen and the stress caused by the time and the notes coming down). However, if you play a real instrument, you can "melt" into the song and you are playing with your soul... That's the difference.. After playing a real instrument, you will feel happy because you played what you want to play and not feel tired because you had let out all your stress.

IMHO.

I think the musicians/record company are paid.

last time i read on Blender that a kid dropped out to play Guitar Hero full-time and his parents are really supportive.

Personally I think Jimmy Page and Jack White do not understand Gen-Y! haha..
I think the guitar hero has its place in intro-ing awesome music to the masses, and any band who doesn't want to jump in on this (since nobody buys cds now) is just losing out..

Music in games are still alive and pumping, I can't say the same for the cds we old folks are so used to..

Haha yeah, guitar hero has its place in introducing awesome music to the masses. and if all the bands need to jump on in to survive, then everyone will be targeting Guitar hero and their players... and music doesn't comes from guitar hero...

I suck at guitar hero too. :mrgreen:

I happen to be pretty darn good at guitar hero! Haha, it is a really fun game, and an excellent way to discover artists you would otherwise not have heard of.

featured musicians are paid...

but its kinda true...some ppl jus wanna act big cos they accomplished on these nonsense..don get me wrong, i play guitar hero too.. but i don go around and brag " hey i beat dragonforce ttfaf on expert"..they noe bands thru this type of exposure..

like cmon, true facts they noe nth abt all these great bands

i think some guitarists might be insulted by the fact that the game simplifies the fretboard into 4 buttons and calls it guitar hero.

featured musicians are paid...

but its kinda true...some ppl jus wanna act big cos they accomplished on these nonsense..don get me wrong, i play guitar hero too.. but i don go around and brag " hey i beat dragonforce ttfaf on expert"..they noe bands thru this type of exposure..

like cmon, true facts they noe nth abt all these great bands

People who actually do that are either bragging to other people who can't do that on guitar hero but try to, or they are just plain retarded.

I found out about ZZ Top, The Enemy and a few other bands that I now really enjoy listening to through guitar hero though so yeah I dig the game not only because I can play it without dying too many times, but also because there is some really good stuff on the game.

Plus it's an excellent game to have when you have friends over at your house. Great entertainment

i think some guitarists might be insulted by the fact that the game simplifies the fretboard into 4 buttons and calls it guitar hero.

i agree with you sir.
as a guitarist i find it insulting to simplify the guitar like that.

but, you got to admit, it's a damn great game
:)

Its definitely a great game, really funny when your friend on the mic is trying very hard to keep that arrow on the line for the vocal parts.

However i think that guitar hero might actually give a wrong impression on younger kids that the guitar is that easy to play. Thus it might spur people on to pick up the guitar or just leave them disappointed after failing to succeed on it.

After all people have to acknowledge that it is indeed a video game.

A 10 year old boy beat me in Guitar Hero at Timezone.
I feel like killing myself.

And oh, he chose the medium mode and i took the easy mode. :(

Back