Is a 50W tube amp suitable for HDB use?

Xypher

Hi all..!

Recently i have been gassing for a new amp.. Preferably a 112 or 212 tube or good SS combo..
Suited towards hard rock n heavy metal (iron maiden, acdc, sabbath, metallica etc)..

I looked around the websites for a while in my free time and kinda liked the peavey 6505... Its 60W and probably can be played on volume 1 max in my room (without any discomfort to neighbors).

Is there any way to make these combos more hdb-friendly?

Also, are there any more amps that i should look into?

Thx in advance for all help!

Last edited:
yes.

just go easy on the master volume.

oh and high gain amps like the 6505/5150, dont need to worry about cranking. they mostly rely on preamp distortion, so they should sound good at TV volumes nonetheless.

Last edited:
yes, i agree with what matt said. Most high gain preamps have their power ratings set delibrately high so as not to achieve power tube saturation -- most of the character and gain of the amps come from the preamp. So long as the amp has a master volume, you should be pretty safe. However, this is not to say that cranking the amp will make it sound bad.

You could try using an attenuator if you want to get the poweramp tubes cooking at lower volumes, but do note that this will not work wonders. It is only useful if you are running your amp already pretty near saturation point and you just need that extra bit of help. It certainly will not transform your amp into a bedroom wonder. Ive tried one with my amp and i personally did not like it at all.

That being said, the 6506 will sound decent at lower volumes as well. :)

So issit possible to get Marshall-ish distortion? Someone told me that it uses power amp distortion..

I don't think the 6505 sounds marshallish. You can try the Laney GH50L. I think it sounds more british than the peavey. You can give both a spin at sweelee. BTW I've been cranking my Laney for the past year. No police so far. :p

If you play good music then the neighbours wont call. LOL

Which one is more versatile? The laney or peavey?

Half stack take up more space and are more exp tts y i thought i cud get a combo and finish it.. =/

Unless ceriatone makes combo versions...

BTW, the jcm clone suitable for hdb or not? Or must crank? Hyde care to share with us? :D:D

Last edited:
Not so sure if the Peavey 5150 Combo amp 2 x 12 is still available at the "for sale" section but that's a great amp that could suit ur needs and beyond. Give it a try. :)

my experience with jcm800 is that u gotta crank it to sound nice... Using the preamp gain alone n low master vol n sound v fizzy n thin. The balls is to have preamp n msater vol near 6, which is v loud. N i owned a 50w head..

U can look at the new marshall vintage mordern or jvm. Its really gd if u want a marshall sound, n the price is cheap considering its made in uk.

I got a marshall vintage modern, n it sounds v gd at low mster vol unlike the jcm800.

if u want marshall like sound, get a marshall lor... ur budget?

U can go and grab the Line 6 Spider Valve combos at CityMusic, these are definitely versatile although they prob cannot reproduce the exact tone of most of the amps modelled.

a 50w tube combo is too loud for HDB use.

lets put it this way -

my 15w pro junior is fine in bars at volume 5.

my 22w deluxe reverb is great in largish bars with a loud drummer.

my 40w bandmaster combo (basically a slightly softer version of the bassman) is loud and is for outdoor use.

go for 5w tube combos. try the valve junior or the champion 600.
for home practise i use a portable pignose

just dont raise the master volume so high then, not like you need that spectacular cranked tone for bedroom practice. leave the cranking to jamming/shows.

plus, hes eying the 5150/6505. im sure the valve juniors wont cut it.

I am eyeing a few amps but all are like ~50W..

Unless i can find a small wattage amp with good onboard drive.. If used with a THD Hotplate, can i crank an amp (say 6505 or jcm800) and get nice distortion but at a lower volume? Is this method advisable?

The only smaller amp that has caught my eye so far is the Tiny Terror. But i still need to buy a cabinet..

Back