Ipad 2 - useful for musicians?

hifi_killer

hi there, i'm hoping to get an ipad2 in the upcoming pc show.

i thought its kinda useful for musicians, besides using it to display lyrics, chords. i hope to use it as a DAW i.e Garage Band..? and maybe connect mics and guitar via some kinda interface? As far as i know. android tablets cant do that?

any one have experiences with the Ipad2?

There is a limit what iPad 2 can do.
Garageband for iPad is the only app that do software instrument and audio recording.
At the moment it is good for noting down ideas.
Also it is cool to use iPad for "live" instruments.

one of the bigger use of ipad, be it 1 or 2 is as controller for various daw, other then the recording function.

Having played with some of the recording apps with ipad, i do agree with what kongwee mentioned, its good for noting down ideas, sequencing and stuff like that. Even though a full album can prolly be done thru ipad(as show by gorillaz), the end product prolly still need to be transferred to more powerful computer for post production work

Depending on the daw that one is using, theres lotsa controller apps available through itunes. Even if theres no dedicated app for your particular daws, with touchOSC app and provided the daw one is using able to talk OSC language, its possible to design your own daw controller program.

As for the music making apps, if really wanna use it for live, do check out those with core midi support. Those, imho, are more usefull and future proof, without ending just like any sound making devices out there

I been using touchAble for ableton as controller on ipad with me monome, its pretty fun, other then the playing, also the commmuication between devices.

Last edited:
I have download some surface control app. The latency is high through wifi. Not easy to use. Of cos, I have not discovered any app that use the USB connection.

hmm, hi latency, thats interesting. Thru touchOSC, ad hoc network, i have very good result with touchable and also a virtual monome128 grid on the pad. The triggering was immediate and any changes on the pad was reflected on my laptop without much latency.

Other than daw, i tried also using ipad to run monome apps written in max msp via touchosc on adhoc network, the triggering was also quite spot on other then occassional stuck led which also happen on the real hardware itself.

Been running an ad hoc network on my win 7 laptop for the ipad to connect to, its been solid so far.

A friend of mine was eager to learn some piano piece from another friend's score book. So he snapped pics, brought home n just view n learn. All tools r useful, it really depends on how the user wanna use it.

Back