Ibanez SA260

subversion

Ibanez_SA260.sized.jpg

Ibanez SA260
List: $750

Ther SA series by Ibanez is an S-Series derivative, differing from the original by virtue of a flat body rear & non-locking Vibrato bridge. This particular model was chosen by Andy Timmons to be the basis of his signature guitar & very much retained every aspect of it, less the angled headstock & a personal preference of pickups & hardware.

Construction/ Fit/ Finish
The SA260 displays stark ergonomics & simplicity & should appeal to players who value essentials rather than extravagance. The 22 fretted straight neck displays sufficient rigidity & finesse which belies its Korean make. The headstock itself displays a touch of class by featuring matte tuners & a laminate top which matches the body.

In addition to all the well-fitted hardware, the SA neck profile is the factor that sets it apart from its popular sibling, the RG. It isn`t super thin like the now extinct Super Wizard necks which renders it shred-exclusive. In fact it is substantially rounded albeit being slim, a depth-trimmed C-profile Fender feel, if you like; meaty but acceleration inducing.

The SA body outline & curved top are faithful replicas of the S-Series. The flat rear has enough rib-cage chamfer. The all-access neck-body joint ensures your digits reach the upper fret register with minimum effort.

All palm-muting & bass notes chugging protagonists would appreciate the presence of the SAT30S unidirectional vibrato bridge. This darling hardware features smooth edges & overall attributes to preserve the right hand`s comfort while you play. If you don`t already know, the SAT is Ibanez`s take on the popular Wilkinson bridge.

The SA260 features a single volume & tone control, together with a 5-way selector switch, they keep the body`s top clutter free.

Playability/ Tone
Ibanez`s SA models are struggle free guitars; it`s pick up & play from the start. The neck, despite being quite meaty & very rounded, is very shred inducing especially with lots of drive dialed in. The substantial depth also ensures sufficient grip for your bends. Some critical Ibanez enthusiasts find the S-Series dual curved design to be too thin at the edges & it makes playing the guitar sitting down rather unpleasant. The SA model has this concern addressed as the flat rear adds sufficient depth for playing comfort.

The SA260 is one of the few models in the Ibanez arsenal which features the very versatile SSH pickup combo (2 others being the GRX-40, the Andy Timmons signature itself). The single coils here aren`t Fender affair but they sound very impressive clean, in isolation or in combination with the humbucker. They possess a very Duncan `59 transparency when driven, nothing too high output, very sweet.

The humbucker also displays a rather restrained output, nothing too brash but when lots of drive are dialed in, it growls & triggers harmonics easily. The only lacking aspect of this pickup is its clean tones, a rather bland offering but since the single coils do a better job at this, it`s easy to see why many players would not resort to the humbucker for cleans. The SA tonal palette covers lots of ground- blues/ rock/ fusion/ metal, it`s all here. Once plugged it, it`ll have you hooked for hours.

Last say
The SA series have always been a winner with me, the SA120/ 160 included. The SA260 is a wonderful player due to its sleek overall design, simple but effective features & that versatile tone coming from the SSH pickup combo, not to mention the warm mahogany overtones. Those of us who are used to the flat D-profile of the RGs, would need some getting used to with the SA neck profile. A superb mid-priced player.

crazydude_ said:
is this guitar review updated? with the duo pickup thingy?

Do you read anything about Tru Duo pickups in this review?

Sub did a revew of another SA guitar, he mentioned the Tru Duo pups there.

this is a 2005 model. i'll review the 2006 version (True Duo + SAT Pro bridge) when the guitar's in stock...

in the mean time, as pointed out by ShredCow, you can read the True Duo pickups in the SAS36 review...

Can I know which shop sell this gitar? I know that Sweelee are the authorised dealers for Ibanez.. Is it at the bras basah shop or the warehouse shop? :D

Subversion.. Is the SA260 as good as you mention in the review? I'm planning to buy a Ibanez guitar but confused in selecting either RG370DX n SA260.. :?

moggie, they are totally different sounding guitars. Different body woods, different bridges, different pup configurations, different number of frets. Different.

Both are fine. Neither would be superior to the other until you play them and then you realise which will suit you better.

Go try.

And search SOFT for RG350 or RG370.

Oh ok.. I will go ahead n try both guitars n choose to my liking.. Thanks for your advice shredcow.. 8)

a guitar is only good to the player after it's been tried out. no use committing to an appraisal only to find it unlikeable on a personal basis.

i've come across countless good reviews on the Ibanez JEM models but after trying them all, it has no personal appeal...

Back