How To Record Acoustic Drumset

2ming7

Last edited:
Not really sure about audio interfaces but i think the R16 is good enough to record drums considering the 8 inputs and controllers. This way, you should be able to use the R16 as a recorder and mix each individual mic straightaway and record. It also comes with a built in metronome so that's a plus too!

As for mics, Im not very sure of how the wharfedale mics are but if you want a professional level of recording, try getting the Shure SM57 for your snare and rack toms! Pencil mics would work good for your hats and overheads, correct me if im wrong! Gonna be pretty costly though. Haha. Also saw Audix mics at Yamaha Plaza Sing the other day but I only saw a bass drum mic in their display case at around SGD400. Not cheap. Hahaha!

Check out these links:
http://www.shureasia.com/products/microphones/drum_microphones
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1678&brandID=2
http://www.ehow.com/how_6733030_choosing-drum-mics.html

Hope my very limited knowledge helps!
Good luck!

hey there, thanks for your reply.
but i do like to know more about other mixers that are out there within the same price and maybe with more inputs.

where can i get the samson 7 piece drum mic?
it looks better than the whardefale

You might wanna see these resources for tips on micing
http://www.drumlessons.com/category/drum-lessons/recording-drums/

I myself am looking at the above two gear you mentioned. I already have the Zoom, it serves its purpose and within budget.

Wharfedale would be the next in line, for the recording quality to price ratio. Since I'm not looking at pro-level, just something decent, its ok for me. Samson mics can be found in Swee Lee, but if I didn't recall wrongly they're more pricey than the Wharfedale if you put both 7 pieces side by side.

If I'm not wrong, Swee Lee carries Samson mics. Try asking James (soft) and Ron (blueprintstudios) they know better! Haha.

ohhhh. thanks so much ah guys. will research more into drums recording and post again if i have any question.
but it seems like the r16 is quite a choice for you guys. so most prob will stick to it. hahah

sound of the drums can be edited in programs right? like using all the wav files that are being recorded

Hi i've been using zoom r16 for most of my drum recording and i think its worth the money.

I also use wharfedale 7 piece drum mics. if i want to rate it, i would say 7/10.

Why not 10/10:

Firstly the kick mic. It does not have a big diaphragm so it does not capture the low end well enough.
Secondly I need to do so much EQ before I get a good sound.

But still for starters, I believe it an ok mic to buy and I gain experience in drum EQ thanks to this mic.
What I recommend, if you buy this mic, try to save up to get other good mic individually for kick and snare.

This is one of my recordings using R16. Only the tom mics are wharfedale (sorry).

so you used the programs given with r16 to mix or you just hand the raw tracks to the band? anyway, it sounds good. but i got problems about the sound frequecy and mic. i totally got no idea about this. lol

yes i use the editing software give with R16 (Cubase LE 4). I mixed the drum tracks a little just for fun but I also pass to the band for their own mixing.

What do you mean got problem with sound frequency and mic? how it works? or how to use?
There is a lot of tutorials videos in youtube and other website. There are many fundamentals to learn before we can be good.

im not sure also. cause i have research alot about it last week. and some audio engineer/drummer said about frequency. so im wondering if a mic can only record a certain amount of frequency otherwise it will spoil it. or we can adjust the frequency or EQ to get the sound we looking for? yes, i need more fundamentals, more theory!!! LOL

Yes each microphone can capture/record different range of frequency.

For example Wharfedale kick drum mic, KM-4, can capture/record frequency of 30Hz to 12,000Hz only but let say your drum cymbal produce a frequency at 16,000Hz or 16kHz.

This mean your mic is not able to record that 16kHz produce by the cymbals but this WILL NOT SPOIL your mic. It just doesn't capture, that's all.

You can use EQ to get the sound you looking for but to a certain extend. I usually use EQ to get rid of the sound that I don't want.

Lastly just get the gears and try it out yourself. Get your hands dirty bro..

ohhh. hahah. understood understood. yeap, will be getting a r16 end of this month to try and stuff before getting other mics. thanks for the info. :)

Back