Mix This : Zoom R16 + Wharfedale KMD-7 Live Recording

blueprintstudios

http://tinyurl.com/3awuymo

What is this?
[highlight]Click here to go to the "Review : Zoom R16 + Wharfedale KMD-7" thread![/highlight]

Okay so now down to the fun part. Doing live recording! Because we have The Inimical Alternative here as a 3 piece band. There will be limited channels available for use.The tracks I've put up for this "Mix This" is to simulate the compromise microphone bleed when a "live recording" is involved. Wired up in this order

#1-Snare - KM-5
#2-Kick - KM-4
#3-Guitar Amp - KM-5
#4-Bass Amp - KM-5
#5-(Phantom Power) Vocals Wharfedale KMD-3 Condenser (notice how condenser picks up the bleed around)
#6-(Phantom Power) Vocals Wharfedale KMD-5 Dynamic (if recording a 4 piece, 2 guitarist band this would be for guitars, for this situation, notice how dynamic is more muffled but rejects more surrounding noise.)
(Only #5,6 has Phantom Power on the Zoom R16)
#7-Zoom R16 Onboard Microphone
#8-Zoom R16 Onboard Microphone (See the little black dots/holes at the edges of the audio interface?)
(I've included Zoom H2's live recording in case you'd wanna blend mix together.)

and the reason for you being here? "Mix This" means I post up the tracks for you guys to experiment and observe the Wharfedale KMD-7 and Zoom R16 in action. [highlight][Link To Download][/highlight]
The tracks are in 320kbps mp3 format. Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth means to host the original .wav , but all you're gonna lose is inaudible highs from 16khz-20khz++ onwards and if you're looking at being particular about studio worldclass quality you're looking in the wrong place.

So go ahead and post your version of your mix, host it on mediafire.com/box.net etc. I'd like to thank the band for permit to commit their time to record and release as the review recording took literally from day till night. Please do not criticise much on the "performance" as I was rushing this recording and the purpose was to just simply demonstrate for SOFT.

Enjoy and have fun!

Credits : The Inimical Alternative - "Narcissist"

-Ron (www.blueprintstudios.org)

Last edited:
hey gerald! happy new year man, sorry for the late reply i just got back in SG yesterday and knocked out from year end errands.

heard the mp3 and thanks for even taking time to post your interpretation even though it's for fun, I see (hear) where you were going for that "lofi" (in a good way) britishy artic monkeys like sound . good stuff man

http://www.box.net/shared/vlcz5zobqo

done all 3 versions in 2 hours.

wasn't mixing the vocals challengingly fun? hahah. freakin mic bleed balls. but i'm pretty content what I managed to pull off.

anyway I did not use the H2 tracks in this one to simulate if someone only uses zoom R16 + the wharfedale drum mics.

Well... the vocal is hard. My way is to record the music first, the vocalist just to "guide" with the band. After the band have a good take, then the vocal will do a separate actual take.

the meaning of "live" means it's used in either an audition video one shot one kill or on stage. any more than one is "layer" already.

Back