how to get a clean tap sound?

hayabusa

i can't get a clean sound when i do tapping on the higher frets. instead i get an ugly fret buzz sound that goes piak-piak. my neck action and bridge are pretty high already. what else do i have to adjust?

Tapping

Hmm, i've been trying to do a little tapping too, seems to me its all down to technique. Sometimes i get clean notes somethings i do not. Depends on your accuracy while pressing the fret and the strength used. Resting my thumb on the side of the neck while tapping the higher frets help me alot. Hope this helps. Because i'm completely new to tapping too.

eh? my problem is that when i do tapping i get clean sound on the low frets like 1-8 but higher frets like 13 - 24 gives me a fret buzz sound. is that to do with setup or technic? so when you tap, do you tap lightly or strike like you want to punch a hole in the fretboard?

eh? my problem is that when i do tapping i get clean sound on the low frets like 1-8 but higher frets like 13 - 24 gives me a fret buzz sound. is that to do with setup or technic? so when you tap, do you tap lightly or strike like you want to punch a hole in the fretboard?

I think it's your set up.
As long as when you press, the note sound out clearly.

how to get a clean tap?....

knock 3 times on the ceiling, if you want me, twice on the pipe if the answer is no.....

sorry i just couldnt hel it...

I also find using some distortion to induce higher gain would help, as most tapping lines have softer dynamics compared to 'normal' picked, plucked or slapped-style lines. I like using my distortion channel to rack up some gain for some sweet,ringing tapping.

how to get a clean tap?....

knock 3 times on the ceiling, if you want me, twice on the pipe if the answer is no.....

sorry i just couldnt hel it...

HAHAHAH. omg. that is so retarded. in a funny way.

anyway, i think you need to use like more force.
you might consider getting a clean booster pedal or something.
as well as lowering the action of your bass.
it takes time and practice too! :D

Last edited:
you'll probably want 3 things for a good tap sound- nice, low action that doesn't buzz, a good compressor (i prefer that to distortion), and good technique.

Back