Holdsworth & Gambale: Masterclass revisited...

subversion

markvarney_gr.jpg

Fans of Holdsworth & Gambale would do well to celebrate the reissue of ‘Truth in Shredding’. This is a landmark release from the fusion masters who were arguably at their peak back in 1990 when this release debuted. Personally, litening to this collection of instrumentals would make me weep because it’s simply darn good, it makes me feel worthless. Malmsteen sweep fodder would take note of how Gambale incorporate successive sweep patterns into a terrifying lick that would scream ‘impossible’ upon listening. Holdsworth had a lesser part in this collaboration but his synth materials is simply unearthly. Listen closely & try to make out exactly when he actually picked his notes- they sound so seamless.

Finger gymnastics aside, I’m still taken aback by Gambale’s extremely expansive, very deep but midrange inclined tone. I’m still of the opinion that it’s his Ibanez that played a major part there- sadly Gambale & Ibanez aren’t collaborating any more. As for Holdsworth, I simply can’t believe that he had very little gain dialed in for that recording, much of the drive came from the master volume. If only things are believeably that simple… Sigh…

PS: Thank you Frank Gambale for the reissue tip-off…

haha~ yea, dont expect that gem of a album to stay there long. haha. any more fusion cds to recommend?

heard of the Greg Howe + Ritchie Kotzen collaboration album? reviews :?:

it has jazz elements in it...

-----------------------------------------
PS: Celebrating my 666th post :twisted:

Back