help with drum terms

ixora05

hi everyone...I'm really new to drumming, ie am starting lessons soon and buying drumsticks soon. after browsing on the site I am really confused by the technical terms used to describe all the drumming gear! Some questions here: what's considered a basic drum set? drumsticks for beginners? I know 5As are good but what are they?? why are they called 5As? and also what type of drumset is good for beginners. thanks! the technical terms are really confusing and I am a n00b at this.

A typical basic drumset:
1 x snare drum, 3 x toms (left, right and floor toms), 1 x bass drum, 1 x crash cymbal, 1 x highhats, 1 x ride cymbal.

Drumsticks:
I think 5A just means the weight and thickness of the sticks. Don't know exactly what the figures mean though lol. Correct me if I'm wrong here :) But yes, 5A sticks are good starters for beginners.

Beginner drumset:
See above.

Hope this helps a little. Don't feel too confused by all the terms you see. You'll get the hang of it as you progress along. :)

I think (not very sure at this) 5A is a set of light and thin drum sticks (I think my pair is 5A).

About the basic kit, Mel80 said it. Of course you can take away or add some parts.

It's good to learn with this kit since it's the "regular" thing.

A standard drumset is exactly like what mel80 said. Although there is no "standard" drumset, that is what you will usually get from low end budget drumsets. It is also referred to as the 5 piece, yes, you count the drums. And as for the cymbals, mel80 mentioned the 3 essentials, the 2 timekeepers (hihats and ride), and the crash.

Anyway, about the drumsticks, as far as I know, there is no system of naming them. A Vater 5A and a Vicfirth 5A may vary, albeit just a negligible difference. But the closest you can get to a systematic branding for most manufacturers is that 5As are standard sized for most people, 7A being the lighter and thinner version, and 2B having the heavier and beefed up feel.

hi guys..

the terms used ..i.e... 5B's 3A's 2B's 1S

A stands for orchestral, or symphonic style of music,

B stands for Band

S stand for street

BUt what the hell..I use 3A's and i play mainly metal..!! LOL!!

:lol:

I got my sticks lol...5B anti-vibe Zildjians. I might end up regretting it but who cares. they feel nice. hee.

U'll never regret them..

I have been using them for practicising. As I'm a heavy hitter, those anti-vibes function really helps to relief ur palm from those vibration..

well, most people have answered the questions. just to add a little bit on. i think the bare minimal kit should at least have, 1 bass, 1 floor tom, 1 snare and 1 hi-hat.

just my 2cents...

of couse i can't survive on such a small kit.
:D

anti vibes

isn't the anti vibe sticks the bomb!!!
my only gripe about them is that the rubber at the end keeps getting stuck against my pants man. i had to change my snare height, but other than that their awesomeeeeeeee. abit expensive but its cool

haha okay. maybe i'll get a tama stagestar. am looking at either that or a pearl forum but I am poor so tama for me all the way. thanks to everyone who helped out!

If you`re getting a set...maybe u would like to check out Allmusic @ parklane i think is lvl 2...

They are selling tamastagestar at an offer price of $680 includin cymbals stands n everything they are also selling this pearl set ( i think) cant rem..at the same price...

Used to be owned by some other guys, recently the new lady boss jus take over,quite a nice and friendly lady...very helpful! u mite like to check it out :wink:

Re: anti vibes

blurred said:
isn't the anti vibe sticks the bomb!!!
my only gripe about them is that the rubber at the end keeps getting stuck against my pants man. i had to change my snare height, but other than that their awesomeeeeeeee. abit expensive but its cool

Maybe ur hand is warm!! LOL!!

I never encounter any problems with the anti-vibes..

Except for the price tag! :wink:

i didnt really noticed about the vibrations on the sticks while using during my beginnings. but as i started to use TB Ziljian sticks, it vibrates! it really annoys me. haha. i think i should save and get a anti-vibe! :D

woot said:
i didnt really noticed about the vibrations on the sticks while using during my beginnings. but as i started to use TB Ziljian sticks, it vibrates! it really annoys me. haha. i think i should save and get a anti-vibe! :D

Hmm, so some sticks have built-in vibrators eh? :roll:

Well, I don't really notice those vibes much except if if I play a fast tempo on the cymbals.

Vibrations are very minimal, to be honest, it shouldn't harm you in anyway at all. I'm sure Buddy Rich, having played the drums for most of his life, did not use Zildjian Anti-Vibes, eh? Neither did Krupa or Bellson, but their work from the later years did not get any worse than what they are known to be capable of.

Anyway, thin and lighter-weight rides tend to build up their wash really easily, this may give you a certain "vibration" feeling as the cymbal doesn't respond that well physically when there's a heavy wash.

Zildjian sticks are gimmicks.

Zildjian should make cymbals and stick to only making cymbals.

Promark/Vater/Vicfirth should just offer to make signature sticks for Travis Barker and I guarantee you that most of the present Zildjian stick users will move over to whatever the company that endorses Barker.

yea that's true. i used to be a fan of zildjian sticks. i have the 5A anti vibe and travis barker's sticks. then i turned my attention to Vicfirth sticks.i bought the 2 dave weckls, the older one and Evolution. and it's a whole new feeling with Vicfirths.
firstly the tone it gives off after hitting the drums are nicer and clearer. i'm fine with the zildjian anti vibes but the tip was too long for my likings. i really suggest u guys try the Vicfirth Dave Weckl Evolution. it has a nice grip for a small sized drummer and very nice bounce.
now i won't want to buy zildjian sticks anymore..only vicfirth =)

~drummar buah~

hey cool...if it's for small sized drummers that's right down my alley. I bought 5B's la. which I found out later are meant for drummers with larger hands and stronger wrists. But they felt perfectly fine at the store! grmph. will look out for the vicfirth dave weckl evolution when I go get my next pair of sticks, thanks for the help!

it's ok to stick with the 5Bs. when u progress in your learning styles. slowly u may start to love heavier music such as metal and want to play them.
5Bs can give u a harder louder hit without playing with too much force
5As are lighter. and may require u to hit the drums harder.

and oso contradicting this point.. if u wanna play light music such as jazz.. a heavier 5B stick may give u too much volume even though u hit it really light. 5A may give u the lighter softer dynamics that u're looking for.

but!!! don't overlook these points. being a drummer is not only about choosing the right sticks. u need to learn control. meaning..if u have good control..u can use a super heavy stick as big as a tree trunk to play jazz. and a microscopic piece of wood splinter to play the heaviest metal. of course i'm exaggerating ( u can try if u want to ) but u get the point yea?

u can find the Dave weckls at swee lee =) happy shopping there..

~drummar buah~

drummar-buah, that post above is one of the most intelligent and helpful posts I've read on these forums.

Control. You don't need AHEAD Uber 69XXX Extreme Joey Jordison Tree Trunk Special drumsticks to play Slipknot covers, you can do the same with 7As if you have the control to make your drums and cymbals sing. This is the reason why 5As are so common, whether they feel comfortable to you or not, they are there for every drummer to fall back on as they feel good whether you're beating the crap out of your hats or when you're swinging on your K custom ride.

My point being that, the best sticks ever (which is a very subjective and individual, I know), are the sticks that are versatile, the pair that you keep going back to. The pair that is able to perform at all dynamics easily, something that is tried and tested. You can't do good rimshots with your AHEAD JJ Sticks, and you can't get that good snappy sound on cross sticks. So why use it? When a nice pair of 5B hickory is able to do that AND MORE.

Also, which is why what drummar-buah mentioned is the blatant truth that many drummers choose to avoid. The drumsticks are your tools, you use different pairs for different needs, but you should never blame them for not performing to your needs, like aforementioned, each type of sticks has its own feel, but its possible to manipulate them to serve your needs for whatever situation. That's control.

Anyway, your 5Bs aren't a wasted purchase, just keep buying sticks whenever you feel the need to, after a period of a few months, you'll realise you have a whole arsenal of drumsticks, and out of those, there are a few "special" pairs that you favour.

Back