Help: Transporting guitar via flight

Hi,

I am flying tomorrow night and I am planning to take my Ibanez S520 along with me. I have the hard case for my guitar as well as a gig bag.

I wanted to know from your experience what is the best way to take it. Does the hard case of Ibanez strong enough to protect it if I check it in? Or if I take it as hand baggage, will the airlines allow it?

If you think checking in is better, is there anything I can do to make it more safe?

Thanks guys in advance. I hope someone replies since my flight is in less than 24 hrs

what airlines are you flying? dont risk checking it in. better go early and hand carry a gigbag to store in overhead compartment

I had issues carrying a acoustic in a soft case up a Cathay airline. Had to check it in. Thank goodness no damage but I got so pissed at the counter because of their attitude that I blacklisted Cathay after that. And recently there was news that an strings ensemble was not allowed to carry-on their instruments on an SIA flight in HK.

Silkair is under SIA.

The Ibanez hard case is good enough for check in. The guitar is snug fit in it anyway. Just ask if you can have it gate checked. So before entering the plane, they will take the item from you. Similar to what they do to having a baby stroller.

Good luck.

based on my experience ,
I suggest you :

bring your guitar in the softcase,
then bring it into cabin as hand carry luggage

then, for your hardcase (in empty condition), just put in the baggage.

** PS : this is the most Important :
you dont need to ask a permission to the check in counter about your guitar .
no need to report the check in counter staff about it (unless you were asked) .
so, you just do check in as usual, and consider your guitar as a handcarry luggage .

Good Luck !! ;)

Back