Help me ! head and cabs doesnt suit

BloodSolo

guys juz wanna ask , i juz bought cabs wrongly ... the cabs suit 16 ohms ... but my head stated its 8 ohms ... can anybody help me ... please ... or should i juz sell the cabs ...

okie im noob here aniwae ...

For tube amps, you can mismatch the ohms. you will notice tone difference. for solid state, im afraid you cant.

mmm...transistor amps are direct coupled as compared to tube amps, transformer coupled.
For transistors you can go up not down and just the opposite for tube as you can short the output but NOT open (no load or no speaker plugged) ...so it's down for tube and not up...

".... the thing you CAN do to hurt a tube output transformer is to put too high an ohmage load on it. If you open the outputs(no speaker load), the energy that gets stored in the magnetic core has nowhere to go if there is a sudden discontinuity in the drive, and acts like a discharging inductor. This can generate voltage spikes that can punch through the insulation inside the transformer and short the windings. I would not go above double the rated load on any tap. And NEVER open circuit the output of a tube amp - it can fry the transformer in a couple of ways. GEO"

Impedance matching is necessary to:
  • get optimum volume
  • avoid wasting power
  • avoid excess stress on your amp
  • prevent damage to your amp
  • avoid excess stress on your speakers
  • prevent damage to your speakers
  • reduce distortion and noise; get good tone
  • avoid uneven sound distribution
So get it close as possible ...;)

Back