Help in keeping time

KeanOng

Hey guys i really need alot of help from you guys out there. I have lots of trouble keeping time, i have played drums for like 8 months, i can play almost all genres, but the thing is, i cannot keep time. I really struggle a lot.. I cannot count 1 2 3 4, 1n2n3n4n those things in my head while playing, and i do not wanna mess up my drum solo. guys all of you please help me aye.. T.T :(

Like all professionals and instructors will tell you, practice with a metronome. Practice your stuff at a slower pace, eg 80 or even 60 bpm. Then slowly work your way up.
When I play, I don't count the 1234 or 1n2n3n4n, its not practical to do so. Just try to feel the metronome inside you and play!

Hope I helped.

ya something like Schtauffen said, buay tahan...(not you)
Learning drum like that one, have to keep practicing new beats with metronome. It is like you cannot eat without your chopstick so as not to mess up your hand. Have proper tool for eating and you will enjoy an organised and neat meal.

You use metronome you will play drums more neatly.

Charge up your Persistence, patience and determination for the metronome practice, you gonna need alot of it.

Take short breaks between practice. U play better after the break.

=KeanOng

Go slow, really slow. Or go musiclab to learn, I also could not count properly after 1 year in my previous drum school. After some hard drilling from Mr Alvin Tan, I could now. It takes practice and of cos a metronome will help loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Practice practice practice.
Practice makes permanent.
When you are not gifted when something, all you do is practice.

Usually those who practice are the ones that do better compared to those who is gifted.
Like what Bruce Lee said, "Rather be afraid of the guy who practices ONE kick always than be afraid of the guy who KNOWS THOUSANDS of kicks."

Have fun metronome-ing ! :DDD

i have a personal drum teacher. Mr Jonathan Sim, at CP Music located in Marsiling. He says to practice with Metronome. i still dont really get it

Playing with a metronome will let the drummer to "internalise" a steady beat which is essential to a band. And being able to count to a metronome beat such as 1 E N A (16beat) is also very important cos it trains u to keep accuracy. Hope I explain clearly lol.

I've been playing for 7 years and I still need a metronome. You have to learn to like it because it'll be your friend for a long, long time.

Back