HELP!Dimarzio

emptinessben

Eh i noe this is lame..but i need ur help...i need a clear, pure, pickup ..any recommendations?humbuckers from hell is one choice..

the Humbucker from hell is fantastic when split (especially in the neck position), otherwise, if you don't, then there is the EVO to consider (best in bridge). you need not be a Vai fan to like this pickup...

subversion said:
the Humbucker from hell is fantastic when split (especially in the neck position), otherwise, if you don't, then there is the EVO to consider (best in bridge). you need not be a Vai fan to like this pickup...

Hey Sub, you got to take note that Evo IS pretty thin sounding... even though it cuts thru everything, its not generally regarded as smooth sounding. The Evo neck is a different animal though...fatter than the bridge version but retaining a good cutting tone.

Perhaps a Breed will do since its meant to be a high powered vintage hum...

Or for all out smoothness, its Air Norton... IMO, it seems to lack character... all glassy smooth only.

Btw, emptinessben, you got to better descripe the sound you want. Got any bands/musicians tone in particular you like?

Cheerio!
Daniel

subversion said:

Hey Sub, you got to take note that Evo IS pretty thin sounding... even though it cuts thru everything, its not generally regarded as smooth sounding. The Evo neck is a different animal though...fatter than the bridge version but retaining a good cutting tone.

Perhaps a Breed will do since its meant to be a high powered vintage hum...

Or for all out smoothness, its Air Norton... IMO, it seems to lack character... all glassy smooth only.

Btw, emptinessben, you got to better descripe the sound you want. Got any bands/musicians tone in particular you like?

Cheerio!
Daniel

for clarity (that's what he wants), i recommend the EVO, if he mentions 'heavy' then i'd move away from it, the Super Distortion would be more worthy if that's the case...

Char said:
For clear and pure neck, I recommend PAF Pro, although Air Norton is also a very popular neck PU
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/DiMarzio/Air-Norton-01.html
I love Evo in the bridge for solo. Waiting for Evo 2 to arrive.[/url]

hmmm, i guess different people have different interpretations of the PAF Pro, i simply dislike this pickup, especially in the neck. i've tried many Ibanez models with it, especially the JS1000 & the discontinued RG3120, it just lacks the midrange punch.

2004 saw satriani having a PAF Joe in his guitar, subsequently the JS1200 have it as a default neck pickup...

Ya, everyone has their likings, I do not favour PAF Pro at bridge because it lacks level and a little too bright.
I personnally don't like too much mid if it begin to sound nasal, so has never consider Fred or Norton in the neck. I wonder how PAF Joe sound.

i very much would like to try this pickup but the JS1200 which has it as a default unit, isn't about to arrive here any time soon... :roll: there are very few Dimarzio neck units i like, hopefully the PAF Joe would be appealing...

Back