help available

bigblackbear

as we know, there is an urgent need to improve our current local music scene. and since it is my school holidays, i would like to get involved in the this scene and help out in any possible way that i can.

currently a mass com student, i am able to help in things such as creating of posters for gigs, taking videos etc etc. i wouldn't mind doing hands-on stuff like helping with the setting up of pa system as well. i will have no qualms about tagging along to events to see how they are carried out even if it means standing there observing. however, i might not be as proficient or as well versed as an expert/professional, but i will help to the best of my ability.

i'm new to the local music scene right now. so what i'm looking for is exposure and hopefully, i can help out here and there. i'm not looking to get paid (though any form of gratification would be appreciated) , or to be contracted; it's more of a voluntary thing.

so pm me and hopefully, we can work something out

Last edited:
No offence but what's with all these threads on trying to save local music recently? It's not like it's dying to begin with imo. :S

yea i agree with that, basically from what i understand, its not saving, but rather improving the music industry here in SG

haha i don't know. there been so much talk about how our music industry needs improving, so i thought i'd expose myself a bit more and help out in what ever ways i can since i've got time on my hands.

and yes james, i wouldn't mind doing that

No offence but what's with all these threads on trying to save local music recently? It's not like it's dying to begin with imo. :S

likewise..i find that it`s funny..everyday a new thread wil surface about saving the local music scene,helping the new bands,whats wrong with our scene and so on....this is quite funny i must say....

i can see that nothing is wrong with the scene in singapore or maybe i`m wrong.lots of great locals bands here i have seen
from what i can see is wrong is only,some gig organisers having no brains on how to organise gigs and therefore causing uproars to the local acts here..
this is what we have to look into and try to improve:)

Last edited:
bigblackbear, since you are a mass comm student, could you think of something that can help SOFT reach out to more people?

i'm not good at generating ideas, but the surest way would definitely be advertising. for starters, maybe soft could help organize events and get sponsors. i know it might not be feasible but it's worth a thought

i thinks the soft forum content is not very abundant you can try add more information and more single theme

the soft FORUM is huge, and the actual soft site pales in comparison. that could be something to look into

i think where the scene is concerned, there is an abundance of talented and willing individuals. but as is the case with every other industry, the people that can make the most are those with capital. be it money or some sort of business (or both). no point having 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

i think there are many youths on these forums. if their passion still burns later on in life, maybe things can happen.

i think where the scene is concerned, there is an abundance of talented and willing individuals. but as is the case with every other industry, the people that can make the most are those with capital. be it money or some sort of business (or both). no point having 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

i think there are many youths on these forums. if their passion still burns later on in life, maybe things can happen.

Agreed with Shinobi for this one.
Not that I'm against it, but I've seen so many threads on ways to improve the scene, yet I don't seem to be seeing anything to REALLY improve it. Yes, many steps have been taken, the biggest one so far I seen is Live'NLoaded.
But let me ask, does anyone else remember seeing posters for next saturday's Baybeats audition? Or any posters for the various gigs that we see in the forum? I'm not talking about just in SOFT, but in actual, physical Singapore. Down Orchard Road, in town area, etc.
Nope, I don't recall any.
NUS recently held Elementalism and RockFest on the 14th March, during their annual open house. I was at the open house. I had zero clues about both events, even though the latter was right next to the open house hall and the former had bands such as Allura, GSE, etc.
It's not so much that "the scene needs to be saved" or "it needs to be expanded"
And yes, to agree with Shinobi, right now as youths we can't do very much changes. Problem is, those who make the most capital out of this are the ones who makes the biggest footprint out of this.
What we can do, is to continue to encourage each other to keep working on this passion of ours.
But you may ask me, why wait till we grow older?
Reasons being:
We'll be older, more matured, sensible, experienced, weathered out, etc. Perhaps some of us would even be able to pump in the capital needed to help boost the scene.
As stated above, 10000 spoons won't cut a steak. We can't keep shooting our mouths off about what needs to be improved yet we don't do anything much about it.
i'm not saying that we AREN'T doing anything about it, but many people just blindly say yes yet not do anything.
Kudos to those who ARE doing something. Your efforts are not in vain, and do inform us if anything needs to be done.

I'm not going to start an argument here on this thread if anyone so happens to disagree with me.
If anyone DOES, however, I would prefer that you drop me a PM, and maybe we can talk/debate it out.

My 2 cents, at least

Back