Hard to please? Hard to satisfy?

DoubleDecker

I don't know how I should write this... but hell, here it goes.

Do you guys find it hard sometimes to improve on your compositions?

Ok, what I mean is, we often dish out our music, and we get a load of suggestions here and there. Realistically, we just can't satisfy everyone. Maybe A would like to hear more strings... B was actually looking for tighter percussions... C actually prefer it to be more melodic... then D actually come up and say he would love it to be a little more dreamy.

Well, to me, it's all about preferences. My ears are pretty much tuned to dance music, so in a way, it's does get bassy. Someone else who is doing other forms of music probably love to hear more impact on the vocals. But I realised that having too much suggestions can also be problematic. We can't possibly throw in every suggestion we get, as much as we appreciate all the feedbacks.

Would love to hear how some others are feeling about this...

DD

No you can't please everybody. However if you are going to sell and album, then you have to satisfy the majority if it's going to sell. It may mean giving up certain personal preferences.

I remembered the musical I arranged for some time ago. I disagreed with the director's interpretation most of the time, but I've no choice but to arrange according to what he wanted. That also mean me writing something I'm not entirely comfortable or happy with. The important thing is that he is happy. The conversation can go something like:

"I want you to change this orchestration here as I want the mood to be xyz"
"The mood is already very xyz."
"No it's not. Don't like the drums."
"What don't you like?"
"Just don't like it. Change it."
"How do you want me to change it"
"Change it to make the mood more xyz"
"Err, but the mood is already xyz"
"No it's not." (etc etc)

Sometimes it is hard. But I find it a challenge.

I like the part you mentioned personal preference. Yea, it is very difficult to give up our own preferences because we want our own music to sound the way we want it. It's to achieve a specific mood and feel, but somehow, it's not possible as we sit down and consider the various suggestions we may get along the way.

Yes it tough ...but try not to please people too much !!
But yet depends to the type of music ...eg Boy Bands need to please the ladies :lol:

Talking abt a producer ...choose the right fella !
If you are into doin metal ...aiyo! don't get a blues Rock or pop producer or just make do wif whatever lah ..get someone who has worked with a metal outfit before ya!!

Isn't there a sort of... tried & true formula that usually appeals to the masses?

I mean, look at pop. Appeals to a whole generation.

One can always take the safer road, and just do stuff that make the masses happy...

Or one could take the road less travelled and work their own imagination in a more unique way - and be shunned by the masses.

Musician's personal preferences aside, most lay people prefer the following:
1) 4/4
2) Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus Chorus
3) Hum-a-ble melody/leads

Go anything else, you're really not going to go places... at least not in Singapore...

No, we are not moving into music trends. At least I hope... it's more about the ideas and improvement process rather than the music trend. :wink:

No no... my point is, just do your own thing though it might not be accepted by the masses.

Or

Just follow the culture and do as it dictates, lose your identity, and please the masses.

Regarding improvements, I speak from a PoV of a guitarist who struggles to try and be different.

If I wanted more ideas and "improvements" (so to speak) I like to try to limit myself. Like... NO pentatonic scales. Or NO blues. Or NO 4/4. Somethign like that...

I find it aids my creative process - forces me to use tools I otherwise will seldom touch, makes me uncomfortable so I will reach out of my comfort zone.

Creativity is about getting out of one's comfort zone to me... I find no pleasure in (for example's sake) running up & down a pentatonic scale - that's been overdone by every other guitarist for ages.

And of course, in doing so, I don't get a lot of music fans. :lol:

Lately, this is going to sound DAMN weird, I have decided to stop listening to too much music (in my case, guitar stuff) because I realised I'm emulating more than innovating (like there's still things to innovate on guitar haha).

Suggestions and stuff, just gotta be selective. When it comes to suggestions on techique for example, I will take that in - someone tells me I don't have good vibrato, I will practice vibrato. When it comes to songwriting then I will be selective - no wish to step out of that musical vision I long to behold.

ShredCow said:
...no wish to step out of that musical vision I long to behold.

I think your final bit says it all... sometimes when we take in too much suggestions, we seemingly derail from the original objective we hope to achieve. :wink:

hahaha... I made it sound so grand! Musical Vision... hahaha..

Yes, torn between compromise and retaining one's individuality eh?

Anyway, share your creative processes dude. Its always good to know and read and maybe steal.

I recall Steve Vai mentioned he would stand naked on his balcony for inspiration's sake. His own inspiration, not his neighbours.

Mine are always out of the blue and of which some are absolutely crazy shit... but sometimes taking too much care in balancing what I should do as a producer and what I would like to hear on the dancefloor. What I mean "taking too much care" is... it restricts certain ideas like being used.

Like somewhere ... someone did a track that boosts 1000BPM (read one thousand... no shit), which in reality anything above 200BPM is practically and realistically un-dance-able. Let alone 1000BPM.

I think it is dependent on the genre you are writing for. It's a hard question. But you need to compromise somewhere.

If, however, you intend to break into your own genre and sound, then you better be exceptionally good - otherwise it's hard to get accepted by the masses. We write music for a many reasons - and one reason is for the listener to feel what we intend them to feel (ie somehow they can feel part of our emotions in our music). No point writing music that only I (the composer) can appreciate and nobody else. Then the only place the music will be played is in my own stereo system at home.

Yet we want to balance that with our personality and not lose it. That's where we create our own "signature" sound. Fine balance. Not an easy answer.

woah, 1000bpm, wont that sound like a ring mod instead :D

imho

if people pay you to do music and distribute/promo for you, then do the music in which they want you to do or at least compromised in some ways

if we pay for everything/anything, look for promo/distro in whatever place that has slight interest in the music that we made, then we do what we want, even if is cricket mating sound sync to 69 bpm beat in sludge setting

oh, forget to add in, wanna new ideas in composition, buying new gear is one area that can do majik. Shops happy, buyer happer, win win.

DoubleDecker said:
I don't know how I should write this... but hell, here it goes.

Do you guys find it hard sometimes to improve on your compositions?
DD

yes. but if its easy, it wouldn't be as fun right?

Back