Guitarists, your PICKs?...

stillwater

Hello peeps,
well actually i juz switched my choice of pick from the hard ones, to soft (yes, the softest)... n was blown away by the wonders it does...(i use .009-.042 gauge std tuning) after one hour of playing (or rather, messing around), im declaring myself a "soft picker" now... i been swearing by hard picks for the last decade or so... wat have i been missing out :cry:

juz wondering wat kinda pick you use, string gauge, n type of music u play... thanks!

dunlop jazz iii. i finally understand all the hype with this pick man. fits me like a glove.

.1-.46. i don't like .09 as it's a tad bit too thin for my tastes.

i play pop, jrock, classic rock.

I use Dunlop Tortex Sharps - 1.35mm
But those are for electric playing usually, the sharp tips are really good for fast playing but they get in the way while strumming or playing chords.

For acoustic I use normal Dunlop Tortexs - anything below 1mm is fine with me

EDIT : My string gauge is .09 -.46 (Dean Markley Blue Steels) and I play anything from punk to metal, more or less whatever I can learn given my noobiness :lol:

i keep having the idea ppl who use hard picks (1mm n above) r shredders (or ppl who plays a lot of solo)...
tt was part (or rather, much) of the reason i took up hard picks, cos ... yngwie said he choose the thickest pick he could find, in an interview ... n i wanted to be like him... so... :oops:

I use Dunlop 2mm Delrin picks. I play a little more aggressively and use .10s so i definitely need something that will hold up well. Lighter picks if i'm playing the acoustic or just doing nothing but enjoying some light chord work :D

The worn 2mm Delrins, with a rounded pick edge kinda gives of a very nice warm round tone. It's very nice to use them once in a while.

I play using Dunlop Jazz IIIs fits me the most n string gauge, one guitar is strung 10-46 and another will be strung with 10-52,.. I play anything from blues/jazz to metal (not death wateva metal tt requires growling n not singing)

i play using either Jazz IIIs (love 'em), Grover Allman 'm', or another pick is the fender ones. depends on what i'm playing though. currently using dean markeley signature series .10s, and DR Coated Blue .10s.

i tried using the softer ones initially, but i found them..too soft for my taste. so now, my picks range from the medium ones to the harder ones.

martin&co. 1.0mm...bought from city music..not even sure if they're really martins but they're real comfy...
i use the black 1 n apparently diff colours hav diff feel n thickness...
bought a lot at 4 for $1..hehe...it's 3 4 $1 now...

use it on both acoustic n electric...

stillwater said:
wow thor, classic rock, like led zep, the who etc?

yea... small riffs from time to time lah... hehe... gnr, motley crue.. a lot of the 80s rock too.

a little word of advice... don't try to simply get the thickest pick... that was also how i started out... reading all those comments by famous guitarists. however, i soon learnt that i didn't have thick enough fingers to control the pick well.

also, different picks have different tonal qualities.

try to find a balance between tone, thickness and control. too thin a pick isn't very good either for solos (think .5mm and below) imo as it's very very hard for you to practice picking accuracy.

anyway, i highly recommend jazz iii... at least give it a try and see if it works for you. i had been having bad trials with small jazz picks but the red jazz iii was a surprise for me. :wink:

2 mm tortex, the tortise one with the turtle on it. wtf am i talking lol.
alternatively
3 mm nylon big stubby.

2mm big stubby. The purple ones... the plastic material gives a brighter, snappier tone.

I prefer bigger picks because it packs a bigger punch... due to size.. and i like to not have my fingers hit the strings too much. It wears down the finger nails you know? ;)

Jazz IIIs for me... the red ones...

using .9-46
im actually considering upping to .10s .... but havent finished my box of .9-46s.. so i guess i will try it in a few months.

dunlop .60mm and martin darco .10
at first i have been using those small jazz picks...... then i went and got the normal size ones just for fun....... then i realised that my palm muting and playing those chord stuff got better

I use Dava Control Picks. Don't think many players here use that pick - I swear by these picks! It's a variable gauge pick, and the perceived thickness / feel of the pick is determined by where you concentrate your grip. Concentrate your grip near the tip, and you get a nice beefy feel for solos, concentrate near the middle and you get a softer feel for smooth rhythm work. The perceived gauge runs from around .6 or .8mm-ish to around 1.1mm but IMHO its a totally unique gauge of its own. I don't know what I'd do without these picks man. Oh yeah, they're practically unbreakable too.

Back