Green Day Live In Singapore:Review

christoh

Holler! Flick Chicklove Genevieve Loh here,trying my darndest to go allloveROCKloven ROLLAlove by filling those rather large shoes ofloveyour darling Ah Bang.loveAs he currentlyloveworks on his tan in sunnyloveL.A.lovehe has graciouslylovebestowed the honour of reviewing GREEN DAY’s first EVER concert in Singapore on ickle oleloveme! For a girl who bought Dookie back in Sec 3 at the old Sembawang Music store in Far Eastlovebecause she simply LOVED the albumlovecover art. I have tolove it was quite a trip down memory lane… back to those teen years when I was just a BASKET CASE. love”For what it’s worth,it was worth all the while.It’slovesomething unpredictable but in the end it’s right.love I ( hope you) lovehad the time of your life.” Yes Bille Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool,love thanks to your unwavering infectious energy, I totallylovedid.

GREEN DAY LIVEloveIN SINGAPORElove!

SINGAPORE INDOOR STADIUM

14th Jan 2010

Green Day-those pesky but adorably talentedloveanarchist-lites-have been making musiclovesince 1987 (loveArmstrong and Dirnt formed Sweet children at 15 years old)loveclocking a grand total oflove23 years. And it most certainly shows. Because together with Cool, the drummer who became a permanent Green Day fixture in the late 90s, the energizer bunny trio knew exactly what they were doing when they completely won over Singapore last thursday night.

Right from the get-go, charismatic front-man Armstrong burst onto stage withloveenergy so infectious that even the most jaded ofloveold-skoollovefans who didn’t approve of their latest album 21st Century Breakdown would not be able to resist. And as the ever-youthfulloveBille Joe screamed and shouted at the top of his lungs to ask the audience to sing along, chant and cheer, you simply can’t help but marvel at how the singer manages toloveshifts gears almost immediately to sing the band’s signature tunes right after in that smooth and highly underrated voice of his.

Andlovenever once did theloveintensity never lets up, giving what every Singaporean loves- Real BANG for your BUCK ( they played non-stop more than 2 hours!) From when they opened with 21st century Breakdown and Know Your Enemy to Novocain,Boulevard of Broken Dreams,loveHitchin a ride, American Idiot. the band cleverly played a mixture of both old and new hitsloveto an audience all there armed and ready to show their love.

It mightlove as well be calledlove Audience Participation/Open Mike night, as fan after fan were pulled out of the standing ” mosh-pit” crowd to come on stage and sing, dance and generally muck around with the multiple Grammy Winners. And boy did the crowd love it! From the green -haired punk rocker wannabe who gotlovealoveonce-in-a-lifetime chance tolovesinglove theloveentireloveLongview and jam with the band, to the pre-teens who knew all the lyrics and gamely did whatever Billie Joe whispered in their ear. Be it getting fans to run down the short ramp to bravely jump into the heaving crowd, sharing the mike and singing right into their faces, bear hugs, body-surfing, spraying water via super-soaker waterguns or long hoses,love and shooting ( yes shooting) T-shirts via a tube gun- every trick in the book to engage you was employed. And cleverly so. Because the audience ( made up of two entirely different generations) lapped it all up. Yours truly included.love It was one heck of a party- a walk down memory lane for the 30 years and above- the first generation of Green Day fans who re-lived their youth screaming out every single word of Basket Case and Brain Stew tolove the younglings who called out in unison to be woken up when September ends and chant 21 Guns. Everyone was under Billie Joe’s spell, loving him for loving Singapore- ” You’re better than America!love Louder than America!” he yelled when the entire stadium sang out every singlelove lyric correctly-as he changed song lyrics to incorporate our country, constantly praising and thanking the audience.

With pyrotechnics, silly costumes, and snippet renditions of a motley crew of classics including the Beatles ( Hey Jude), Elvis ( Love me Tender) and even Pink ( yes PINK!),the audience was putty in the band’s hands. And as cheesy as that now iconic graduation song Good Riddance ( Time of your life) is, it was perhaps the most befitting way to encore and end the concert.

So take the photographs
and still frames in your mind.

Hang it on a shelf
In good health and good time.

Tattoos of memories
and dead skin on trial.

For what it’s worth,it was worth all the while.

It’slovesomething unpredictable but in the end it’s right.

Ilove hope you had the time of your life

XOXO,

G

More...

I'm just very curious why all your blog posts have the word love in the middle of random words? Are you using cuss words or something?

Formatting issues when he's copying and pasting. The loves turn up too randomly in the sentences that having them there won't make up a coherent sentence.

Hmm, prolly that. But I'm guessing a simple Ctrl-C Ctrl-V command will give rise to such issues. Anyway, besides the distorted words, christoh always has interesting reads:)

Back