genre mix up

i'm really puzzled when people say they their style of play is funk, or that they like progressive rock. frankly, how do you guys differentiate one genre from another? i understand its a very broad and general question, but i really hope someone out there will be able to enlighten me.

so basically, i'd like to know:

a) the various kinds of rock
b) alternative
c) funk.

and since i'm a drummer-in-training, the different styles of play in general, and how they sound like.

(is it too much to ask?)

thank you in advance! :)

haha. let me help u.

erms this is to the best of my ability ya. haha.. genre is so broad, and is only a means of categorization. furthermore, most genres are mixed up anyway, for example, a person's perception of funk may differ from another person. some people may regard a certain band as metal but others may disagree, yada yada..

so, in my opinion, you have to find your own genre haha. anyways this is what i guess most people would agree with me on.

a) rock - guns and roses
b) alternative - goo goo dolls?
c) funk - TOWER OF POWER!!

well about the different kinds of rock, there is alternative rock, hard rock, soft rock, rock we step on blah blah blah. haha. this really depends on how u categorize your own "rock".

lets just do away with genre, and welcome MUSIC. ha!

This is my take.

Rock- Daughtry, Live
Alternative- Alter Bridge, Linkin Park, Creed
Indie (this is overused)- Bloc Party, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Futureheads, Arcade Fire
Funk- Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Earth, Wind & Fire
Grunge- Nirvana, Pearl Jam

Beatles- heavy metal
Led Zep-folk rock
dream theatre-progressive
muddy waters-blues
norah jones-jazz pop

genre is genre la, it just a word. Music is ur feel. diff ppl find diff things . Lol. So if u feel its funky its funk. if u feel its moving and cool prog....

well funk is stereotypically anything with a really hot bassline and at least 2 black members in the band. haha. Rock is well.. rock. Im not sure if there is a difference between "alternative" and "alternative rock" though. But i feel 2 names of genres are completely overused and should be ignored instead. One is Indie. People here are forming billions of bands and claiming to be "indie". Especially those scene people who are into indie because its supposedly cool now. Another one is all the "___-core". everything that ends with a core is just plain stupid. metal-core, math-core, screamo-core, all might as well be categorised under one big umbrella. But yea. Rock n roll lives!

honestly, i thought an example of alternative is coldplay, like, bands who play songs with a deep meaning that somehow sounds like its going round and round, in a good way, y'know what i mean? hurhur.

Back