frets!

I personally find Ed Roman funny but that's about it. He usually states opinion as fact and he is unapologetic about it. Well, some 'luminiaries' in this forum have a similar mindset as well, except that they are not half as funny. IMO, would take everything Ed says with a pinch of salt. Different guitars yield different results period. If you like the results stick with it. I would say learn to appreciate what makes them different. Any luthier can come out with his /her own opinions but at the end of the day, can their instruments sell? Most probably not. Most people would still go back to their ibanez's, fenders, gibsons and more recently PRSs.

To answer your question, the placement of the pickup does affect the response, but to what extent that it is negative, it really depends on the player. I wouldn't want to mess with a 24 fret Les paul though, if you get what I mean. Some tried and tested formulas should remain as they are. Innovation is not necessarily better, just different.

It's a scientific proven fact, however, tone is a very personal and subjective thing. 24 fret guitars generally exist in 3 different neck scales: 24.75" (Tony Iommi's SG), 25" (PRS) and 25.5" (Super-strats ie Ibanez). Of course there are baritone guitars (28") with 24 frets. Neck scales affect playability, and the response to pinch harmonics are different...

GC, meet GZ! Something you wouldn't want to mess with! :D

gz_2100wf.jpg

24 frets on an ebony fretboard, 25" scale, Dimarzio DP103 pups, solid duralumin bridge & tailpiece... And, made in Japan! :wink:

jumbofret said:
It's a scientific proven fact, however, tone is a very personal and subjective thing.

The only thing you can prove with scientific testing is frequency response. To gauge whether the tone is better, a panel of judges is required. Very much like coming out with a new blend of wine or whisky. A combination of science and art which cannot be isolated from the human experience. Tube amps have high levels of distortion compared to solid state, but we almost always perceive tube amps to be sweeter sounding. Cheers

Yup, that was what I was trying to say... Some ppl like the sound from a neck pup on a 22 fret, others like it from a 24 fret...

Do you like how the GZ looks? :p

jumbofret said:
24 frets on an ebony fretboard, 25" scale, Dimarzio DP103 pups, solid duralumin bridge & tailpiece... And, made in Japan! :wink:

DSC01772.jpg

What about a 26 fret, 8 string, 23.5" on treble/25.5" on bass multi scale length, individual ABM single string bridges... And, made in Malaysia! :mrgreen:

Too many controls and strings... Lol... Malaysia? I prefer Indonesia :mrgreen:

fretless6, why didn't u reply back to my PM?

almondx said:
http://www.edromanguitars.com/index.htm
it seems that 24 frets are the better choice because pups on 22 fret guitars lie on the harmonic of the 24 fret hence cancelling mid range frequencies? How true is this?

it actually doesn't make sense to me that a 24 fret guitar could be better in this aspect. in fact, some people do not want that harmonics there. not everyone wants to pinch harmonics in a 80s rock metal solo.

fretless6 said:
jumbofret said:

DSC01772.jpg

What about a 26 fret, 8 string, 23.5" on treble/25.5" on bass multi scale length, individual ABM single string bridges... And, made in Malaysia! :mrgreen:

arrggghhh that furniture woodworker again!

Mero: That's a Greco-Zemaitis...

thor666: The number of frets do not affect pinch harmonics, the neck scale does. The number of frets affect the placement of the neck pup, and hence, the sound captured and produced.

MichaelAngelo: Krappy guitars are your kinda stuff! LOL!

Back