Food Poisoning @ Rojak Geylang Serai

guitarsan

“A WOMAN is in coma and at least 28 others have been hospitalised after being hit by severe food poisoning after eating at a famous Indian rojak stall in Geylang Serai last Friday, reported The New Paper on Sunday. More than 100 people sought hospital treatment after eating at the Rojak Geylang Serai stall at #01-320 at Geylang Serai market….”

In the latest news, one person has died. Really sad.
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20090406/tap-416-woman-dead-eating-geylang-serai-231650b.html

Incidentally, my friend's mother is one of the 28 victims who were hospitalised after eating that "famous" rojak. She is still in hospital. Hopefully she will recover soon.

Anyone here tried that "famous" rojak stall before and how was it? Sometimes, I really question the hygiene practices of hawker stalls or eateries. I'm also guessing some rojak stalls would tend to "recycle" their ingredients or kuah over a few days. Anyway, it looks like it's end of the road for that stall owner.

prayers to the women who died ...

I ever kena bad case of food poisoning b4 - chalat man ....

Its quite tragic to hear that food poisoning can cause a death, my condolences...I can't imagine how her family is feeling at this moment. :(

Condolences to the family..

I actually ate their rojak a week before this news of food poisoning came out.

this is one of the worst cases of food poisoning that i`ve ever heard of in singapore...
the owner of the shop is really in deep shit..

personally for such a serious food poisoning case where people literally DIE/get hospitalised , doesn't sound like a "hygiene" issue, i mean at most salmonella or some dierear problem.

something so jialat sounds more like sabotage. but the saboteur's target misscued to harm innocent victims..

maybe the cook was not happy with the owner and decided to sabotage him by doing this..

i believe that lots of speculation will be surrounding this case...

but in my words,it`s quite up if someone really sabotaged this..it has cause innocent victims to suffer.

That's why I'm usually suspicious about mixed rice stalls. Don't know how long the food has waited there. I had a rather nasty food poisoning from eating one of Four Leaves' brownies, so even a famous place can get hygiene issues. Problem with bad food is, you sometimes don't know it's bad until you fall sick.

this is very serious, especially since two people have died so far if i'm not mistaken. because whatever criminal act (MANY counts of which) whoever is responsible for has led to death, and the penalty will be heavier.

i think it's about time hawkers start to wake up. nothing can be more important than life or death

Last edited:
its sad to see a woman passed away by eating rojak
i think the rojak place will close down and never open again
no one will be going to eat there after all this incidents
the owner is really in deep shit

Doubt they clean the utensils etc. I think the cook mixed the rojak gravy from few days back with the current 1 not knowing that the gravy from the few days back might have expired. People said it tasted salty or some thing like that. Maybe that was the main cause.. My condolences to the family who lost their beloved. Really sad. The owner CONFIRM very jialat man. Probably charged for murder. :-|

From my point of view, I believe this is a case of either sabotage or suay suay kena some rat poison or droppings. The shop has been around for so many years from the old market to the temp one and I have eaten the rojak for so many times. Thankfully nothing happen then.

However I think the Prima Deli case is more serious than this one.

Back