Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - Can't hear my audio microphone on my PC speakers

Lidia Teo

Hi I am newbie to microphone recordings. Recently just got my hands on an Audix OM2 dynamic mic and Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Audio Interface. After downloading the drivers into my pc, everything seems to be working ok except that I can't hear my audio recording from my speakers even though I can see the recorded audio's peaking up and down in Ableton software when i am speaking into the microphone.

I am also using Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Go! Pro USB Audio System where i connect the speakers' audio jack to the Creative sound blaster's USB device before it is slotted into the CPU's usb port.

I am just wondering is it some computer setting that i need to tweak to get the audio direct from the computer's speakers. Another way is to invest in a monitor headphone which i can plug in direct into the audio interface. Need some advice, thanks!

welcome to soft.

1) unplug your computer speaker's audio jack , unplug that creative sound blaster X-Fi Go from the pc. and umm put it somewhere safe while you're recording..
2) plug in your focusrite Scarlett 2i4. make sure asio drivers are all installed.
3) Assuming you're using windows (PC) , click Start > Run >
RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,2
4) you should be able to choose the focusrite Scarlett as your default sound card instead of your creative sound blaster or onboard soundcard's.
5) front panel , you can either plug in your headphones (with 1/4" jack) OR any normal 1/8" earphones with a 1/8"to 1/4" STEREO TRS Adapter to listen to audio being played. it looks like this
A_1-8%28f%29_1-4%28m%29_S.jpg

6) rear panel , if you wanna use your RCA outputs 1,2, plug this
4908257.jpg

then plug this to it
80009.jpg

then it'll serve the same purpose as this...
mYXFrlZd4xDgumoYFhzfxRw.jpg

then plug your PC Speakers to that 1/8 hole. and there you go.

if you wanna use your "Balanced" outputs, just add this to the balanced outputs 1,2
mm29gVr0VErV_pSQ8P2aPUQ.jpg

then same thing as above.

take note that TRS = 2 black stripes = STEREO. TS = 1 black stripe = MONO.
also take note when your ableton is running, some audio interfaces will "lock" and only play the audio within the DAW (ableton) until you close it then you'll be able to playback mp3s inside windows OS , but outside of your DAW

let me know if this helps. the above cables and adapters should cost around $2 each. my favourite electronics shop is at SimLim Square #02-68 Suang Huat Heng , just bring along your smartphone, load this soft page and refer if you need photos.

Back