Flying with a guitar

beardomusic

I'm flying to with Bangkok Airways in about 6 weeks and need to take my guitar. Anyone have any experience of flying with them and an instrument? Are they likely to let me take it in the cabin?

No experience with Bangkok Airways.

But as with all airlines, be prepared for the worst case scenario that they won't let you take it into the cabin.

Not sure about Bangkok Airways but I think it may not be possible to take it on board. Maybe you can call them to ask or check the website. I recently flew with Qantas from SG to Perth and my guitar was deemed oversized so if I wanted to take it on I had to purchase another seat. At the end I just put it in its hardcase and then used the airport wrapping service at Changi Airport. Reached Perth without any problem.

Thanks for the replies. Wrapping is a good suggestion - though I don't know if the Thai airport I'm flying back from is going to have good facilities like Changi.

Not sure if this'll work with Bangkok Airways...

Flew a few times ( Jetstar, AirAsia, SQ, Tiger Air [w/3 guitars!] ) with my guitars in gig bags. Carry it with you till before you board the aircraft. Request (be adamant if you have too) that the cabin crew store it for you safely and to pick it up from them before disembarking. Works for me and no damage. just hope for the best.

Dont know the outcome to this, but, flew to Bali for a show and had to check the guitar in. Monobag did the trick, all wrapped up for additional precaution. All was good in the end, but there are definitely some horror stories. I would not bring the most valuable or the most important piece for sure.

Back