first gig and also first time singing live

shokakukai

hey guys,

just want to ask for your comments on our performance.

its our first gig and also my first time being lead vox. this one is at school, and we'll be performing like once every 2 weeks as soon as exam periods are over. haha we've been playing together for only like a month now.

heres the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIC_ior_x8U&fmt=18

guess i was real nervous there, we didnt expect alot to come and watch us(it was after school) . like the whole hall is almost filled. haha and we were anxious that we would screw up, as we werent provided with any monitors. couldnt hear my singing, especially the drummer hahaa.

any comments or suggestions regarding our performance, my singing and all?

thanksssss :D

btw we played a second song, but youtube is still processing it. would put in the link as soon as the vid is up.

nicely done bro. music wise i think you guys are pretty good. for your vocals, maybe work on the tone abit? but again, good job

I duunno man.. i giv u honest comments la......before anything i going to tell u im not a GOOD SINGER TOO!!! IM NOT!!! I ADMIT!! But since u ask for comments i tell la:p hahaha .....honestly, if i were a stranger.....and i were to walk pass ur hall, i would say kinda bad. and i will walk off. but not sure man mayb becoz of the equipments. but chill man no hard feeling jus treat it as a motivation man.:X

PEACE NO WAR!!!!

no hard feelings....

Practice makes perfect. Both pitching and timing were off.
Your metronome is your best friend.
And wear the guitar higher :)

For all the 3 factors you asked...... well theres certainly room for improvement as its the bands first gig. Seems like you guys enjoyed the performance alot, which matters the most.

ladyintears:

haha those guitar covers were a really long time ago. dont really have the time to re-record and all now. most of them were done out of boredom, so yeah, i didnt practise much in all those songs at that time.

dudelove:

i got my zoom to give it a volume boost. the other guitarist just put everything to max, volume eq and everything. my bassist couldnt do much, stock sx pickups are real weak, but we tried to give it a boost with a distortion pedal.

halfastepdown:

haha yes, i noticed i was too fast at some parts. i was real nervous up there until i messed up my pitching, all the nervousness almost took over my control over my voice. haha

tpiledriver:
yea i messed up the lyrics, most probably because i was nervous. yeah, will try to concentrate more on the lyrics when jamming.

rojak_king:

no problem man. i expected bad comments to come, especially from youtube. haha such comments like urs make me want to improve more. at least i know where we stand and where we can improve.

yeah gotta say my school's speakers are a little too muffled and bassy. and didnt get to check out how the soundtech eq-ed my mic cos we rushed to set everything up. they put in alot of reverb haha. but i believe eventhough we are provided with crappy equipment, its still possible to play a kick-ass show. haha

haha thanks for the comments, guys! hope theres more

Last edited:
Well, congrats on doing your first gig. We all have to start somewhere sometime eh?

The only suggestion and advice I have for you guys is to practice like crazy if there is going to be a next performance.

Get someone who is older and more knowledgeable to give comments on how to improve, so that your next performance will not be as bad as this.

I say you have potential in the singing part, the projection is there, I think. But the pitching and the feel are definitely not.

I am pretty sure when you saw your YouTube video for the first time, you'd know where exactly you went wrong.

Well, at least you've got the guts to go up and try.

Some people don't even dare. :mrgreen:

I suspect there may be issues with stage monitoring. Not easy to hear yourself or the band BUT BUT..

You MUST. Cos otherwise it's as good as the band playing in E then you are singing in F#.

If you can't hear yourself or the band well then it's half the battle lost. If you have trouble with pitching in general, then it's even tougher. Sit down and sing the song slowly with the mp3 or with the band and ask yr friends how you are doing note for note. or play scales and sing along that might help.

Singing is not that easy but with work you can improve easily bro. Good luck

haha thanks heckler.

will take note of that, theres definitely a second time haha, i just hope we can find time to jam and practise more on our own. school kinda had us tight with time. haha.

i'll try to improve on my singing, in tone and pitching . any singers got advice on that? im soon going for vocal training.

will take note of that, jazzfish. thanks

Last edited:
Don't think you are tone deaf right..

So.. it is as easy as switching on your hi-fi or PC and playing whatever song and singing along. You can hear clearly if you are singing in correct pitch what. And that's your primary aim.

If you want to go further, record your singing or your singing along and listen back. I am sure you know how to hear whether you are on the correct pitch.

haha alright. i'll try to post a recording when i can, maybe can tell me where to improve before our performance day comes

dont be discouraged. my first gig was something like this. quite the opposite though. good singing, poor playing.

but always learn from your past experiences. honestly, if i were in ur shoes i will feel extremely discouraged when i see those small amps. i'll have that rockstar attitude give me shit equipment dont want play liao :mrgreen:

hope you can take constructive criticism. and oh yeah. u guys should strap ur guitars higher, esp the bassist. it isnt cool to play badly even when ur guitars are strapped so low. u'll be cooler playing well with chest high strapped guitars rather than playing badly with guitars knees low

hahaha. its our amps, not the school's.

i've got no problem with criticism and comments from people. dont mind if its negative, coz it will help hahaha. but such comments i can never tolerate are like "you suck, you should quit singing, guitar and your band" that sort of thing.

haha tbh im real comfortable with the height i strapped mine. no pain from my wrists and no problem with reaching the controls at the bottom. but im thinking of raising it too.

yeah, the bassist does that, we tried to convince her to raise her bass abit, especially when the fretboard and spacing is huge and the action is quite high.

maybe the guitarist too?

its off key and super monotone . Learn from it and don't post the video around man . I'm very sure you're capable of so much better.

Back