Female Bass Comrades

Ken

Just a ramble,

i just bought Taiwanese black metal group Chthonic's new album, beyond the fact that it is great Asian BM, what thing that struck me more was my renewed crush on the bassplayer Doris.

I mean which metalhead/rocker would not warm up to someone who says in an interview that the reason why she plays black metal is because "she can't find meaning in any other form of music". And she is my kind of bassplayer, non-flashy but does her job at locking the rhythm and providing the bass punch in a guitar driven band. (Plus she's kick ass hot, in gothic makeup to boot.)

It set me wondering about other bass wielders from the other sex such as Sean Yesult, melissa Auf De Mer, thurston Moore, Paz Lenchantin (Perfect Circle) who have showed us that there is no differences in sex when it comes to good bass rocking.

This is a far cry from the early days of Joan Jett when idiots would throw shit at her while she's on stage cos shhe was a female and rocking.

Of cos, we testosterone idiots sometimes can't see beyond them as sex symbols rather than good players thanks to the patriarchal traditions of rock and roll.

I am guilty of that considering i opened this post confessing my crush for Chthonic's Doris.

But whatever it is, kudos to our female counterparts in the bass community. You rock.

Suzi Quatro is one of female rock bassist in the 70s, she sings and front her own band, got a few hit back then too

cheers
purplehaze3691

yeah man, heard about that one... same time as good old Wendy O Williams from the Plasmatics. She's good.

Yeah right... I wish... then can invite her to my place to play bass...hahahaha

hahaha so innocent :smt040

ooi bass whore meeting this sat is it? or am I hallucinating? I cannot make it if thats the case...anyway, female bassist... Right now...MESHELL NDEGEOCELLO. I love her name too, but i just duno where to put the apostrophe in her last name gedemmit.

Ps to Zhen: Oii if you got kaki of The gender, better fess up ah...haha. We'll change the name of Bass whores just for female attendeeeeees

:smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040

dude, aren't you or Rottenramone supposed to arrange the bass whores meeting???

Anyways, I amm paying me hairdresser a long overdue visit this sat so you will have to count me out also.

hm, how about Carol Kaye? that alleged "most-recorded bassist in history". i dont think that gender determines our ability or capacity to play bass. but there's definitely still social discrimination against female rockers and stuff, but i think it'll gradually dissipate and fade into the annals of history with the emergence of many up and coming female bass players. rock hard \m/

Ken said:
It set me wondering about other bass wielders from the other sex such as Sean Yesult, melissa Auf De Mer, thurston Moore, Paz Lenchantin (Perfect Circle) who have showed us that there is no differences in sex when it comes to good bass rocking.

i think u's referring to kim gordon rather than thurston moore. also don't forget d'arcy!

3notesAbar said:
hahaha so innocent :smt040

ooi bass whore meeting this sat is it? or am I hallucinating? I cannot make it if thats the case...anyway, female bassist... Right now...MESHELL NDEGEOCELLO. I love her name too, but i just duno where to put the apostrophe in her last name gedemmit.

Ps to Zhen: Oii if you got kaki of The gender, better fess up ah...haha. We'll change the name of Bass whores just for female attendeeeeees

:smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040

HOR! that female bassist i saw at your house that day ..

seriously ah .. she beats all of us flat as males .. she's seriously very groovy and funky in her playing .. (motown lah .. whadaya expect) .. and she slaps well ..

Back