Fake Degrees Debacle - Brookes, MOE and CASE

guitarsan

Anyone follows the Brookes fake degrees saga? Read the latest.....

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20090721/tap-826-rmit-lodged-complaint-brookes-ea-231650b.html

Our concern right now should be.....what the freaking hell are MOE and CASE doing?!!

And what "light touch" nonsense is this? It's just MOE's excuse and justification for incompetence and sleeping on the job for the last 2 years! Not only did MOE turned a blind eye to RMIT's fraud warning, they even gave Brookes an MOE accreditation. In fairness, MOE did send a warning letter to Brookes....only 2 months later. But more crucially and fatally, MOE did nothing to follow up and check after that. So MOE now thinks that by allowing a serious fraud to go on unchecked for 2 years is considered....."light touch"!

When this incident becomes a public embarassment, MOE wants a Council of Private Education. Isn't it funny that every time the government screwed-up on something, a regulatory body or council is hastily set up? The structured notes debacle is another example. You can't help suspecting such moves are mainly to (i) appease the people, especially the victims, (ii) put up a show, and let people know they are actually (gasp!) working, (iii) evade responsibilities and then play the "good guys". Education Hub my ass!

And what about CASE? They collected money (from private schools here) and tell consumers to put their faith on the CaseTrust logo. However when the CaseTrust certified school turned out to be a fraud, they washed their hands off the matter. CASE has already turned away victims of the scam, saying they can't help them. CaseTrust is not too trustworthy after all. What a useless organisation!

In normal circumstances, when a private school has an MOE accreditation and CaseTrust logo, most students will not do a due dilligence check because they trust that MOE and CASE would have done it already. However, it seems not the case here. Looks like both MOE and CASE are being evasive and shunning their responsibilties for their screw-ups and inactions.

den how? waste the students money and time. Money maybe can still refund. Time can anot?

on other forums, i noticed that brookes has been the one on fire all along.

does anyone notice how badly Case is affected by this? if anything, i think Case has to be blamed for all this too.

Brookes and its director have committed criminal fraud. Period. But equally guilty are MOE and CASE.....for negligence and having a lacklustre attitude since the alarm bell rang two years ago. This government may be happier if CASE take the fall rather than MOE, as the former is a much smaller and less important "government entity". Anything to absolve the ministry from the incident, hence saving face and reputation.

Back