Epiphone: Les Paul Jr Special

subversion

374836.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul Jr Special
List: $350

It is rather clear from this guitar's distinct outline that it is a variation of Gibson's most famous electric to date; the Les Paul. In fact, it made no attempts to individualize its replication as the name suggests. Gibson did indeed conceive a Jr model of its own but it was never humbucking which leaves this guitar to be a unique offering by Epiphone.

Construction/ fit/ finish
We get too many run of the mill products within this price bracket & the initial handling of the Jr, with its thick lacquer overcoat, would suggest a typical budget compromise but such wariness has no applications here. Despite its tactile exterior, the Jr is a well made, well finished instrument. There is nothing amiss with the fit & finish less the paint build-up under the overhanging fretboard, suggesting insufficient drying time before the neck joined its body. This guitar possesses a sleek feel & one would note that even the fretboard edges are lacquered flush to the neck giving it a deserving one piece feel. Other areas of concern would be the stiff tuners & dry fretboard parchments. These aren't outright defects but the tuner issue should be a consideration as these do not come with tension adjustment screws. These in-house units are also rather broad; the handling of one might lead to a contact with another.

Playability/ tone
Is it true that lower rung Epis are virtual descants not worthy of your investment? Not this Jr. However, do approach this guitar devoid of Gibson expectations. Forgive the Jr for its extensive synthetics, the lacquer concoction would be largely to blame for it but all in all, it's a very playable instrument. Do not expect acute picking nuances coming out of from this one, it's simply not forged from pristine tone woods in the first place. Traditional Epi fans should take note of the neck's rather wide dimensions (feels like a Jackson at some points but the depth of which resembles Gibson’s slim taper make) but the assurance still stands; it remains playable on all accounts. The stop tail here would prove to be the legato proponents' displeasure not because it impedes picking but it simply can't facilitate super low action.

What kind of varied tone can we expect from a solitary bridge humbucker? Do not bother if you are bent on acquiring warm PAFesque voicings, it's the wrong selection to begin with. The Jr's singular tone is preferably played overdriven, clean tones are at best mediocre but nothing repulsive. However, the surprise package is heard when one rolls the volume off a tad in pursuit of blues crunch- this Jr has it. Despite featuring an inconclusive body material (tone wood, anyone?) the sustain achieved by this Jr is nothing short of impressive; thanks to the high output humbucker in part.

Bass note chuggers would find the hard tail bridge a hit/ miss but there's no harm adapting. Still on bridge issues, the lack of individual string saddles here entails intonation restraint but Epi has included preset ridges as well as 2 intonation rectification screws (located at both the treble & bass ends) should the need arises. If you play with a set of .009/ .010s, this should not be an issue. The technology adopted here is nothing refreshing, the LP Jr of the ‘50s (1955-1957) featured a similar bridge contraption but in its then crude incarnation, it was devoid of intonation ridges. We are thankful that Epi chooses to include a revised edition in this Jr.

Conclusion
If you are eyeing this guitar with genuine enthusiasm, do try it out before making that crucial decision (the asking price is indeed tempting). Players opting for a solitary pickup guitar are often resigned to a singular accomplishment; this Jr will help achieve just that. Tonal versatility isn't the junior's forte but that's not your primary concern upon choosing this guitar, yes?

Rating: 7.5/ 10

• Construction
• Playability
• Useable default tones

Dislikes:
• Stiff tuners
• Dry fretboard

The body material is alder according to guitarampkeyboard.com.

And the tuners are an absolute must change to those who intend to get this guitar, trust me. They don't keep tune well, at all.

alder might be just one of a 'tone wood' component, with Epi, there's no telling what's underneath until you strip the paint 8) nevertheless, it sustains well.

as for the tuning instability, it might not be the tuners' fault per se. i spent some time stretching the test model's string, after several tuning exercises :roll: , it stayed in tune.

subversion said:
alder might be just one of a 'tone wood' component, with Epi, there's no telling what's underneath until you strip the paint 8) nevertheless, it sustains well.

as for the tuning instability, it might not be the tuners' fault per se. i spent some time stretching the test model's string, after several tuning exercises :roll: , it stayed in tune.

That's true for Epi, I guess, haha...

The tuners stayed in tune for me while I played but overnight, it would fall out of tune for me...not really drastically but flat or half a step down...

And the guy I sent my Epi to change my tuners told me that the set on the Junior is worth around 8 dollars only...X(

df said:
And the guy I sent my Epi to change my tuners told me that the set on the Junior is worth around 8 dollars only...X(

that's how it is with entry-level units... 8) if you value your Jr, tuner replacement is a worthy move. hope you're not giving up on your guitar as yet, no? i believe this guitar is a superb performer for the asking price, i can't give it a better rating in light of its limitations but it's definitely one of those cheap-but-good items out there...

Give up? No way! I already changed the tuners long ago...it's just an warning for those who plan to get it but later complain about the stability and stuff but yea, this is definitely a cheap but good axe.

Great review as always, sub.

hi guys, i got this guitar as well, and like wat other reviews says, the tuners are crap. but my does stay in tune after playing and leaving it there 4 like 3-4 days, it still stays in tune.maybe im the "heng" 1??? or wat?? i duno :D haha but , neverthless, its just like wat sub's reviews. a good axe i say.

it might not be the tuner issues per se- yours might have a well-cut nut that promotes tuning stability despite having the in-house tuners 8)

could be also. or maybe after stretching the strings much??? anyway, will still be changing the tuners to those green ones.also, r the pick rings suppose to be that tall??

ciki said:
could be also. or maybe after stretching the strings much??? anyway, will still be changing the tuners to those green ones.also, r the pick rings suppose to be that tall??

Haha, I asked that question when I first got it as well...

ciki said:
also, r the pick rings suppose to be that tall??

the pickup mounting ring's height has to be relative to the bridge height- we note that by default, the nature of such wrap-round hard tail bridge is rather towering. if you check this against a tune-o-matic equipped Epi, you'd note that the (bridge p/u) mounting rings aren't that thick.

yup, tats wat i had notice, the difference mounting ring height between these 2 bridges, and hence my question. well thnx for clarifying my doubts. thanks sub!!!

available @ Swee Lee, bras basah showroom. aparantly, it's a hot-seller attributable to the price tag & some good tones on-board 8)

it's not about guitar type/ brand for that matter, it's whether this guitar can deliver the tones you require.

chances are, it's acceptable for punk/ high gain stuff. the humbucker reacts well to drive.

Back