Epiphone Explorer

hofner

Any owners of the Epiphone explorer? I feel like getting one...but have not tried it. Is it easy to access the upper frets?

I am also considering a fernandes ravelle , a squier tele ( not sure what model , hopefully mahogany ) , a squier strat ( the red one that Subversion reviewed last year made of mahogany) , and some other ernie ball models silhoutte special( sp )

huh good meh? hmm didn't know....are ernie ball guitars expensive? will i be able to legato well on an epiphone explorer? are there any guitar gods out there that use the explorer?

hofner said:
Any owners of the Epiphone explorer? I feel like getting one...but have not tried it. Is it easy to access the upper frets?

Wanna have easy access to upper frets should get Gibson SG :p Or whatever SG copy :lol:

ya LTD guitars are good, but i must warn you
all explorers NECKDIVE when the strap button is placed at the standard position. but if its placed behind the neck, like an SG, it wont

one way to remove neckdive, is get a good rough leather strap, like levy's. It works for me :)

and you should try one first, the explorer shape may or may not be for you

btw here's my LTD ex400bd that i bought from davis, $1400 + soft ESP case

EX400bd.jpg

and if you want a guitar that has superb upper neck access, get a neckthru or set neck schecter guitars or ESP/LTD vipers(viper's set necks are heelless), to name a few

gibson SG isnt really a guitar with superb neck access, same as explorers, but its slightly better than bolt ons

HEY GUYS! CAN WE AL PLEASE FOCUS ON THE TOPIC....WE HAVE ENOUGH SLY THREADS ALREADY....GIVE HIM SOME SPACE TO BREATH.

what do u mean by neckdive?

04.jpg

Bonoedge.jpg

edge_01_2.jpg

how about this one....maybe i should get a copy

elev_230301_edge.jpg

neckdive means if you let your fretting hand let go of the neck, the neck will drop and point to the ground. To counter this problem, use a rough leather strap or a more drastic solution, drill a hole behind a the neck joint and place the strap button there (like Gibson SG)

those pics that you posted, thats the standard place of the strap button and WILL cause a neckdive

also, with the standard placing of the strap button, it is very common for the front strap to come off the button completely(i've learnt it the hard way on my explorer). So invest in some strap locks, permanent or non permanene, doesnt matter.

Also take note that a strap lock, the bigger the size of the washer, ie, like around the size of a 50 cent coin, will cause the neckdive *2 FOLD*. But still, it can be fixed with a thick, rough leather strap.

:)
hope that helps

hofner said:
how about this one....maybe i should get a copy

elev_230301_edge.jpg

I think this is a custom-made axe with the Jaguar/Jazzmaster-like offset body shape. Neck access is better than a Strat in my opinion :) But not as much as Explorer or SG...

Just realised something...maybe the best neck access guitar would be...Flying V? :twisted: *how come I never thought of it when I own one? :lol: *

hofner said:
huh good meh? hmm didn't know....are ernie ball guitars expensive? will i be able to legato well on an epiphone explorer? are there any guitar gods out there that use the explorer?

the entry-level 50s series by LTD are fine investments, the EXP model included. unlike the Epi version, the LTD sports a more angular body shape, you might find it too protrusive 8)

guitarnub said:
neckdive means if you let your fretting hand let go of the neck, the neck will drop and point to the ground.

hmm 2 fold?

Hmm..would it be difficult to store a explorer due to its shape? i can lean it against the wall right...

wah flying V...must be uncomfy to play,.

Elias said:
Just realised something...maybe the best neck access guitar would be...Flying V?

not really, if you have long fingers, the side of the body keeps on rubbing on your fingers, and it feels very uncomfortable, wheres as if your fingers short, you can practically fly on the last half-dozen frets...

swee lee carries samicks meh? Anyway, is there any samick explorers around? I dun seem to see any of those anywhere.

Do get a ltd ex-50, looks damn stylo.

davis = samicks

nope i don't like the LTDs...look like some escalator.

but so far no one sang praises of the epiphone explorers....

Back