electronic pots question

slipout

erm, i just got myself a used s470dxqm from yahoo auction (taiwan), got it quite cheaply (the body only without trem). I tried taking out the knobs but i guess i applied too much force . . .

so this is the results . . .

pot18hr.jpg

pot28lu.jpg

pot35xi.jpg

how do i repair it? or should i say is it possible to fix it?
If not, i guess i just upgrade the pots as well, any wiring for pots to 5 way selector? And where to get them? Sim lim tower right? Any quality one? I dont really adjust the tone pot, i guess theres one that doesnt sux tone when its full otherlike most pots? Which one is it?

Anyway the old one had a capacitor soldered on, if i will to get a new one will i need to do the same? Or do i not?

ouh ok.. yes sim lim tower has em.. but bring along yours too.. take note of the capacitor value and pot value.. go down n get the size u want.. these things are cheap at simlim ard 1-2 bucks.. but if u want the ones at guitar shops.. err it'll cost u abt twice of that .. i dunno why.. but i bought all my pots at simlim..
and yes if its your tone controll it'll need the capacitor there..

you get get much better quality long pots at peninsula area ... I dun trust the sim lim pots - quality debatable lah :?

[Solution] bring it down to Beez @ G77 & he will advise you further on what can be done to salvage the situation :wink:

anyway i did hand sanding. Actually i had the sander machine, but afraiding of destroying the contour of Sabre (u know s is thin enought its pretty scary). Here is some results after some sanding. Anyway its still had its sealer on right? It turn whitish when i didnt wet them.

body011od.jpg

You should have used paint strippers.

If applied properly, they will take off most of the finish, and leave the wood untouched where you have to just lightly sand off the remaining traces of finish.

Now, the maple top in the s470 (right?) is realllllly thin.. you could sand thru the top easily. Be careful.

Btw, this S470 came without a trem? The route does not look like a TRS/Edge route, is it for ZR trem? If so, well, good luck on buying one. They cost a lot. A LOT.

Anyway.... do continue posting pics..... I wanted to do this to my S520 too and have it natural tung oiled kind of finish... but as it is, its too unique a finish to strip! So the RG7621 will be stripped soon.... but its basswood... oh well.

i already applied afew layers of paint strippers, but somehow the protection coat by ibanez seems to be invulnerable ahahaha, just like what jemsite people said as well, and s470 doesnt excalty have any paint, its just have a afew layers of sealer and a see-thru reddish laquer. Will be continue doing, actually have already seen some parts of the maple top gone :(, guess it will be hard

yup, its not paint, what you see there, and on see thru finished top is a wood dye, to make the figuring "pop" out more

hope your project goes well dude... it'd be a waste to destroy the maple top. actually i think the present red tint is very nice with the quilted maple (kinda reminds me of that link that Shredcow (i think) posted on the dude who transplanted a variax into a PRS-like body). i feel the tung oil finish looks better on a mahogany body with the long wood grain. just me opinion 8)

yeah really hope to see how ur work turns out. keep us posted!

afraiding of sanding off the maple top, i decided to sand the sides first to get a rough idea how thick the sealer is.

starting out sanding
side013bj.jpg

finally some raw wood!
side036dy.jpg

side027kw.jpg

its really a pain to sand off the neck pocket area -.- weekend has ended, gotta wait for this coming friday to continue. From what i see from the side, the maple top is really thin, i guess its almost impossible to keep the maple top.[/img]

Its a medium range guitar, an uber slim bodied guitar too... how thick a maple top would you expect? :p

In anycase, still, go slow. Its thin as it is, you don't want to make it too thin.

:( I guess i gotta do a material finish then . . ., gotta get "maple veneer" myself. Wonder will danish oil harden if applied on fabrics

Back