Dubious buy/sell thread.

cold_static544

http://soft.com.sg/forum/guitar-buy-sell/122227-wts-tanglewood-tw-145-asc-upgrades.html#post896859

as i'm not able to post in someone else's buy/sell thread, i would like to bring softies' (and hopefully the moderators') attention to this.

firstly, i sold the same guitar (same model, not as in same, like really the same).

my thread is here,

http://soft.com.sg/forum/guitar-buy-sell/119387-wts;-tanglewood-tw-145asc.html

after much haggling, i sold my guitar to the buyer at 480. the retail price of the guitar should be around 680-700 SGD.

you guys judge for yourselves. just wanna bring this to attention in case someone gets snared. most buyers would definitely go do their research on price and all, but there might be the unlucky one who doesnt.

the thread starter has only 2 posts as well, 2 of which is his ad.

If the guitar has what it claims to have:

"Upgrades:

1. Fossilised Mammoth Ivory Saddle
2. Unbleached bone pins with abalone inlays
3. Slotted pin holes
4. TUSQ Nut (details here)
5. New D'Addario EXP .12 gauge strings
6. Straightened neck with low action set-up
7. Strap pin"

Then I believe that the upgrades cost him near to $300. The unbleached bone pins and fossilised mammoth ivory saddle are all Jarvis's trademark. He's a regular on G4C and he does good work with acoustic guitars and set-ups. But then again I see that you already settled the TUSQ nuts and 'slotted pin holes' for him. So.. tsk tsk.

But if this guitar is the same one that you sold him for $480, and the retail price is not over $800, then I'd say 'bloody hell' to;

"Guitar retails for SGD $990 from Tanglewood UK. Around $880 from various UK dealers and $800 in Singapore."

But if this guitar is the same one that you sold him for $480, and the retail price is not over $800, then I'd say 'bloody hell' to;

"Guitar retails for SGD $990 from Tanglewood UK. Around $880 from various UK dealers and $800 in Singapore."

i heard there's only two places which sell this, TYMC and living strings.

i got mine from TYMC, at a year end 10% discount at 620, so that works out to be a little less than 700 for the original price.

Alas for the removal of comments on buy/sell threads! Sometimes I see deals like this and I can do nothing but keep mum and watch others take up a bad offer!

if only i didnt flame nicholas bang and muhdzr so much last time..
maybe james wouldnt have disabled the reply button lol

you can contact the mods directly though PM or reporting the thread.

i have contacted james before regarding dubious threads. he checked them out and did the appropriate action.

there is no reason to open a thread here. the guy deserves the benefit of the doubt. this thread will tarnish his reputation permanently. and you may be wrong about him.

please close this thread

There are lotsa good, honest people here in Soft & I ve dealt with quite a few. There are also a few bad apples that u could smell their stench here, across the couseway.

I think the moderators should re-enable comments on buy-sell post..

Oh I didn't know that replies to buy/sell was disabled. As u can see, I have only just registered as a user.

Anyway, no need for all that as I am here now and doubters are free to post their questions. I will answer them and then you will understand.

Moreover, it is amazing that cold_static could start a thread specifically to discredit my sale. Since when did things like this become anyone's business? Even if I did buy something cheap 2nd hand and wanted to sell it for a profit (which i am not), how is that wrong? If that is the case, then every karang guni, 2nd hand furniture dealers and handphone carts should be banned! wth... ridiculous...

He's just trying to protect the interest of fellow musicians. If you can justify selling it at a higher price, then by all means.

I've seen both threads, and I tihnk that let's give the seller the benefit of the doubt. Even if cold_static is correct and the guitar is only worth $700, and if the seller has upgraded varous parts, the $900 is still relatively justifiable

That said,
The times where both cold_static and koaiwas bought the guitar could be different, hence the changes in the price. When the recession hit I do recall there was a thread with people complaining about how the prices of guitars bought online went up. The prices are subjective to the market, inflation rates, etc.

Cool it, there's nothing wrong with that. But kaoiwas, one thing thats important on SOFT is a person's integrity. I believe that you're not lying about what you're selling, but if we find out its otherwise then... its hard to build trust again

Can't understand why people want to complain about seller setting their price.
It is up to the seller on how much they want to sell their item for and it is up to buyer to either 1) buy at the said amount 2) try to bargain 3) move along.

If both agree than transaction can take place.

How much he got it for or from who doesn't matter.
Also "Guitar retails for SGD $990 from Tanglewood UK. Around $880 from various UK dealers and $800 in Singapore.", he did not say how much he bought it for but what he did was to tell interested parties how much the guitar cost at shop.

If you think that the price he set is better than shop, esp with all the upgrades, than it is up to you to buy from him or give it a miss.

TS, did he bought the guitar from you for $480?
If that's the case and he turn around, do some upgrade and wanna sell it off at $900, than I think you can't say anything cos you agree to sell it at xxx amount so whatever he wanna sell it is up to him afterall, the guitar belongs to him now.

I know someone trying to sell a guitar for atleast $100 - $150 more than what he got it for and he hasn't done any upgrade to it but, it is his rights to do it.

Not intending to add fuel to fire here, but I noticed 2nd seller claimed the guitar was his 7 mth old guitar when he bought that guitar less than 1 mth ago(1st ad was only 5/5/09). Giving the impression that he bought the guitar 1st hand. Is this due to the fact that if he admit it was 2nd hand it would devalue the selling price?

plus 1 for dioswkg! sori cant add rep la bro...i must spread to others 1st.

i dunno the meaning of this thread.
i may have the same guitar as my uncle. but if i wanna sell it higher or lower or give free,it is still my pasal wat...

if we talk abt integrity,honesty bla bla bla in here... which is gd la but tell me, how many are we here are angels?
its a buy/sell thread... if the price is too ex then ignore la... some guitar shops sell 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/8th/9th hand guitars at higher prices oso wat

ok ok i go away

Not intending to add fuel to fire here, but I noticed 2nd seller claimed the guitar was his 7 mth old guitar when he bought that guitar less than 1 mth ago(1st ad was only 5/5/09). Giving the impression that he bought the guitar 1st hand. Is this due to the fact that if he admit it was 2nd hand it would devalue the selling price?

You're already adding fuel to the fire, by accusing kaoiwas of lying that the guitar's age
There is no proof that the kaoiwas' guitar IS EXACTLY Cold_static's guitar. It's the same model only, doesn't mean anything much.
And besides, as soon as you used the good its already considered second hand. it can't devalue much, unless its well-beaten

Oh come on. He upgraded the thing, so he's asking for a higher price. I think the purpose of this thread was to inform people that the guitar might have been secondhand, and not to start a flame war.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. All we need to know is if the price is justifyable or not, and apparently, it is because of the upgrades and peripherals.

just take it as a lesson la. BUYERS, INTERESTED PARTIES, DO YOUR BLOODY HOMEWORK. seller can sell at any price they want. they are not forcing you to buy.

the seller's guitar is 7 months old, that makes it to be november 2008, i bought mine round christmas hence the 10% discount.

Maybe he bought it somewhere else that sold it at a higher price. And one month can do quite a fair bit to the price.
I can decide to drop the price of my goods by $50 if I want on Thursday. So for those who bought on Wednesday, they pay $50 extra, and only those on Thursday benefit from the "discount".
I know a shop that sells Squier Strats and Jazz basses for less than $350, although Sweelee sells them at over $400, $500 plus. The Squiers at the former shop are still the same as the one in Sweelee, but can you explain the price difference?
The Subway at Westmall sells each of their subs for about 50 cents to a dollar less than the Subway in Lido
It's up to the various shops on how much they want to charge. Same applies here. Is there a fixed price? Doubt it. Therefore sellers can charge the price that they deem is justifiable
Don't like it? Don't buy it

Back