Drumming In HDB how to deal with "noise"

omg yeah baby!! thanks! im going this weekend thanks alot doood! how many are there in the casing btw?

No prob. Glad to be of help :)

Do note that moongel does not really bring down the volume of drums. It only cuts off some vibration and resonance, but not a lot. It's great for drum tuning though, to cut off some overtones and resonance.

I can't quite remember how many pieces are there in it, as I bought it very long ago. I reckon there are like 6 pieces or so?

Oh and I think it'll be better to give Nigel a call before you head down. He is often busy with events outside, so it's better to check if he is open that day.

Last edited:
No prob. Glad to be of help :)

Do note that moongel does not really bring down the volume of drums. It only cuts off some vibration and resonance, but not a lot. It's great for drum tuning though, to cut off some overtones and resonance.

I can't quite remember how many pieces are there in it, as I bought it very long ago. I reckon there are like 6 pieces or so?

Oh and I think it'll be better to give Nigel a call before you head down. He is often busy with events outside, so it's better to check if he is open that day.

yep i know that. it kinda stops the vibration only. and change abit of tone here and there.

and oh ya. what is the purpose for us to wine down the chain after playing? thats what ppl do in jamming studios why? :rolleyes:

hey guys..this thread has been really useful to me since i'm gonna be getting a set and am really afraid of my neighbours complaining..i was thinking of buying sound off pads for all the drums and cymbals as well..

do they work well? anyone use those can feedback?

i really love drumming and am just starting out..gotta prove myself to dad and mom who dont think drumming is suitable for girls haha..hopefully i wont get any complaints..thanks for all the advice shared!

Yeah lepak is right. The best way is still controlled drumming. Not only there is less noise, but you also learn how to control your strokes and dynamics. Playing soft takes a lot more skill than playing loud.

But if even that is considered too loud (to your neighbours), maybe you can practise at home using hotrod sticks instead. Those are the kinds that look like many satay sticks bound together. The volume is much softer. However, don't get too used to practising with hotrods as you will still need to get the practise with the usual drumsticks. Perhaps you can go to a studio once a week or so to get that practise as well.

If all else fails, there is still the option of practise pads. Practise on those everyday at home and go to the studio to play on a drumset at least once a week.

Hope this helps :)

Yeah lepak is right. The best way is still controlled drumming. Not only there is less noise, but you also learn how to control your strokes and dynamics. Playing soft takes a lot more skill than playing loud.

But if even that is considered too loud (to your neighbours), maybe you can practise at home using hotrod sticks instead. Those are the kinds that look like many satay sticks bound together. The volume is much softer. However, don't get too used to practising with hotrods as you will still need to get the practise with the usual drumsticks. Perhaps you can go to a studio once a week or so to get that practise as well.

If all else fails, there is still the option of practise pads. Practise on those everyday at home and go to the studio to play on a drumset at least once a week.

Hope this helps :)

i used to do controlled drumming. but after awhile cant stand it. hahah.

hot rod stick. where to get them?

lepak:
Nigel probably has lots of house calls and events to do lately. He is a 'one man show', so it's hard for him lah. It's best to give a call before you head down. His number is on the Drum Resource website :)

hey guys..this thread has been really useful to me since i'm gonna be getting a set and am really afraid of my neighbours complaining..i was thinking of buying sound off pads for all the drums and cymbals as well..

do they work well? anyone use those can feedback?

i really love drumming and am just starting out..gotta prove myself to dad and mom who dont think drumming is suitable for girls haha..hopefully i wont get any complaints..thanks for all the advice shared!

Congrats on getting a set. Girls playing drum, that's something you don't get to see everyday. Welcome to the club. :lol:

To share how I actually drum at home.

Like as everyone, I lived in a HDB flat. I dare not to recommend my style, because it might not suit your area.

I left my drumset in my room, instead of living room, and whenever I play, I will just close my window and close my room door.

Since the day my drum arrived till now, there's not a single complain. Probably my door, wall and window is very thick. I guess. Is a 1989 HDB flat.

thats not really advisable nowadays, i think it really depends on what time u play ur drums, of course ppl will complain at night.

Concerning mel80's reply to the hot rods, i think i might get it when i get my drum set too. But just asking, is the feel of the hot rods and the normal drumsticks different?

Last edited:
Concerning mel80's reply to the hot rods, i think i might get it when i get my drum set too. But just asking, is the feel of the hot rods and the normal drumsticks different?

Yup. Both have different feel. So it's important to get some practise with normal drumsticks as well.

Back