drum sticks

Yup, basically shred5 said it. People like different feel and weights and use different tips for different styles. I read somewhere the rounder the tips the more rebound the sticks give.

I personally like lighter ones with rounded wood barrel tips.

Well, just think about it. The weight affects the agility and power. With lighter ones you can probably play a little faster than heavier ones but with the heavier ones the sticks may give more power on the strokes.

Like I said, the rounder the tips, the more rebound they give. Try playing with your sticks normally and compare it when playing with the back of your sticks. Nylon and wood tips also give different sounds and rebound.

Yep, as the previous posters have mentioned. The feel of the drumsticks are mainly what you're looking for. Make sure they feel like extensions to your arms and not the other way around. Nylon tips if you prefer the bright sound on the ride and hihats, or wood... for the er... woody sound.

Another thing is to truly follow what you feel is comfortable. Don't play tree trunks sticks if your favourite metal drummer does so. And lighter sticks may feel less restricting, but they may not suit all playing styles.

I personally play Vic Firth 5As for general purposes, 3As for heavier applications, and switch over to nylon tipped 7AN for lighter stuff.

After doing a couple of purchases, you'll slowly discover your various set of sticks/brushes/rutes and will tend to stick to them. :D

gordonzz said:
travis barker's zidjian drumstick \m/

I hope you said that with sarcasm.

It would be a good idea to avoid buying drumsticks because your favourite drummer does so (as aforementioned).

But then again, if you truly like it, then meh. :?

no man.. seriously i find it good..and hes not my fav drummer or what.. my drummer used it and he find it good too.. u just cant break it :)

My drum sticks are disintegrating. There are white dusty marks on my drums and cymbals. Everytime I play on my practice pad, I make polka dot patterns on it.

haha... i read drums for dummies. the author recomend drummers to dust their drumset weekly and full clean (including the lugs) monthly. alot of work for a baby.

woot said:
haha... i read drums for dummies. the author recomend drummers to dust their drumset weekly and full clean (including the lugs) monthly. alot of work for a baby.

How many months have I joined SOFT? Coz that's how long I haven't been really cleaning my kit other than the occasional dusting and tuning.

"What's the point of cleaning if it's gonna get dirty again and you would have to clean it again?" :roll:

Back