Don't sms when you walk

betsybug

This was in the news today....

texting_injuries_0319.jpg

You might call it an avocational hazard. A recent ITN News video in the U.K. shows that some London pedestrians have become so preoccupied with e-mailing and text messaging on their BlackBerrys and cell phones that they can't make it down a city block without crashing into lampposts or trash bins. One of the most hazardous streets for "walking while texting," according to the Monty Python–esque video clip, is East London's busy Brick Lane, lined with trendy boutiques and curry shops, where people have been filmed walking head down, ricocheting off various stationary sidewalk objects. The solution? Wrap Brick Lane's lampposts with fluffy, white rugby goalpost cushions.

There were a few fatalities reported in the US:

Still, ER doctors who responded to a recent informal query from the organization reported two deaths, both in California. A San Francisco woman was killed by a pickup truck earlier this year when she stepped off a curb while texting, and a Bakersfield man was killed last year by a car while crossing the street and texting.

Last edited:
How about not looking at your phone and texting?

Its amazing how some people can do that......I havn't got the hang of it yet......

Well, I tried text messaging in class, and that was the worst. My classroom had the window panes removed (by us :p) And so, I was texting out of the window of the 4th storey when... The phone slipped...

That phone was only one month old and costed me $600!!!

never text while ur are gigging even if you can do left handed tapping technics while smsing ....

How about not looking at your phone and texting?

Its amazing how some people can do that......I havn't got the hang of it yet......

lol after awhile you'll get the hang of it. i do that most of the times to prevent me from hitting other ppl walking pass me.

Haha, I'm so glad nothing has happened to me before. My phone has never dropped into any toilet bowl, neither have I ever banged onto anything while messaging!

Ahaha! Oh, I can message without reading the message by the way!

never text when your doing it on the bed.you might hit the wrong spot.

but yeah dont text when you're crossing.very dangerous shit there.

Heh.. While washing your face in a sink that's maybe 1/4 full, dont put your handphone on vibration if it's just on the sink hee... When your girlfriend calls and it moves... and *plop*

I'm guilty of messaging while walking and also watching videos on my Ipod while walking.
But thank goodness i'm a little paranoid of knocking into a wall and looking like an idiot. So i look up every few seconds to catch a glimpse of my surroundings:)
What can you do when the corporate world can't stop revolving around money? In their minds, time=money.

Back