DIY ball bearing

bryanlim

hi all,

i am sure many has seen this kind of long ball bearing lying on top of cymbals. it sum how produce the rivert n sizzle effects.

i am aware that yamaha do sell them, but i am sure some old birds here r able to enlightened me if anyone had DIY that before? i tried searching for these, but they aren't long enough.

kindly share your suggestions here!

I know someone who managed to get a roll of that from a hardware shop. Just gotta look hard enough, not all hardware shops have it.

Yeah, its actually the same thing as the string my grandmother use to clog the sink to soak the vegetables...so i went looking at the old-skool hardware stores where the ah-ems will go to, youlll find them at most HDB estates. But youneed to be careful which ones you select to buy. As they have different sizes so you gotta find the right size for the right sizzle on your ride, crash or Hihat. Must be careful not to "choke" the cymbal with bal strands that are too heavy and must be careful not to spoil the shimmer of the cymbal with strands that are too light. I usually just sling them ard the top part of the screw ontop of the cymbal sponge, it's holds lah...otherwise you can ignore my advice and get a $45 Promark sizzle from yamaha.Enjoy!

smildrumez said:
hey.i'm kinda lost..hehe..can any one share a picture of how the sizzle thing looks like.. :lol:

sizzler.jpg

Try another alternative... experiment with those chains worn around the neck... can find a variety in those accessories shop... :wink:

For a live demostration of the sound it produces, make your way down to Jazz and southbridge and watch Boon Gee on drums. haha

eh this one is it same as the dog tag chain ? buy from beach road ah haha they have many army shop

deonportnoy said:
For a live demostration of the sound it produces, make your way down to Jazz and southbridge and watch Boon Gee on drums. haha

Eh, who's in the regular band now ah? Know of any other places for live jazz gigs?

You want to get these from Plumbing shops, or plumbing sections in some dept. stores. . The industrial sink stoppers use a larger bead size.

You can also get these from craft shops, the section where you'd get beads - some have metal beads, and a string with plastic beads works as well giving you different effects.

Back