distortion pedal recommendation

siva

what distortion pedal would u all recommend for playing rock/metal?

am looking for something like thick and creamy.
very much in love with Mr Paul Danial's tone.

paul . if u dont mind disclosing. that time at the soft launch party. what were u using ? ha

There are so many pedals in the market, it is all up to your preference actually, I will recommend the DS-1, this pedal has nvr failed me before, one of the most reliable and good pedals around. :wink:

siva said:

i think you'll need more than 1 pedal for that description.
Some high gained pedal + tubescreamer/badmonkey

siva said:

very much in love with Mr Paul Danial's tone.

paul . if u dont mind disclosing. that time at the soft launch party. what were u using ? ha

siva, at the soft gig, u heard AMT's Fatal Tube for rock and Rammstein for metal tunes. i like the FTs cut thru yet warm charachter, goes well with Marshalls. Although its meant to be a modern overdrive pedal, getting that 70-80s charachter is possible. link below :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-URL2FqutM

Don't forget to question the pickups, the guitar and the amp too Siva.

From the pics of the event, Paulo, you're using your POT guitar with Warpig pickups, right?

yup Daniel, those r Warpig on the POT thru a AVT Marshall head/stack. I've also tried the FT thru stock LP studio n Strats thru peavey 212 combo and 15 watt amps, with very positive results. Its a good tool at its price.

hell yeah J&H! or alternatively get the behringer gdi-21. i got it today 2nd hand. very good pedal for the price man! super cheap. quite ok built although plastic. looks sturdy.

I'd actually say yucks on the J&H too.. Right now I'm using the Rutt for my high gain stuff.. Not perfect, but I'm getting there.. Barber Electronics Direct Drive for my low gain.. Just nice.. :)

J&H has it's pros and cons. well i guess it's how u tweak it. i just love the jekyll channel and combined channels.

Contrary to what others say, I'd recommend staying far away from the Boss DS-1 unless it's been heavily modded to sound nice. The stock DS-1 produces a thin, ugly tone which sucks out all the lows and makes the guitar sound thin and buzzy. I was so disgusted with mine that I considered doing nasty things to it.

There are many better pedals at the same price range, including the SD-1, the digitech bad monkey overdrive, etc.

If you really want great tone get some of the AMT pedals. Davis has the DuHast (Rammstein successor) and a few others.

I recently picked up an AMT "California Sound" and man... that is one heck of a pedal. Throw in some hot humbuckers and you have a real killer, it will stomp the DS-1 and the likes into the ground. AMT does some serious amp modeling. I think the Calif sound models a Mesa Boogie, and you really get a chunky sound with TONS of character. Not like the stock off the shelf pedals. After hearing the AMT pedals I will never EVER go near a stock tube screamer, DS-1 and the likes.

haha i heard there's a good AMT clone of the gt2. i just bought the cheap behringer gt2 clone. damn good for the price i must say. whooh! can finally get some paul gilbert sounds!

Back