Dispelling the idea of "difficult to use" effect pedals

Somehow the thread up there somewhere got me thinking, whats so difficult about an effect pedal thats difficult to use.

Let take a step back and break down the chain to see if it would help those, who might faced situations that made one think that "so and so pedal is difficult to use". So, is it a matter of the perspective of the one using or that certain effect pedals are really difficult to use.

First of all, most if not all effect pedals meant for geetar(in context of the forum here), can be generally known as signal processor.

What it does, simply that it will accept the signal from geetar{input to effect pedal circuit), goes through the circuit which will do processing to our geetar signal then pass it out to the output of the effect circuit and to amplifier.

In between this input and output, theres usually

1) On/off switch- To route the geetar signal into effect circuit or bypass effect circuit(and to output straight without processing the geetar signal)

2) Parameters control pots(with knobs) to change the quality and characteristic of our instrument signal being process.

For on/off switch, prolly anyone would know what it does, since its everywhere, round our house, office, school and so on. The only thing different, is the physical look of it and the wiring behind it which make it a switch in context of effect pedal to route instrument signal for processing or bypassing it.

For control pots, it can varies from 2 to more then 10 according to different type of effect. But to see it simply, in the context with geetar, theres couple of things which can never steer far

1) Volume

2) Gain

3) Mix(more for non gain effect)

For the rest of the extra knobs, it would be too much to list down, but to see it simply, just know that we are dealing with signal process/sound devices, when we have no idea of what a knob does, then its time to use our god given sense of hearing to judge the differences. One of thing which sometime we can conveniently forget is learning to listen or simply reading the manual.

In general, manufacturers who produced pedals, dont put extra pots and control just for fun(increased production cost and extra space for component on the pcb), without doing anything to the sound. If theres a control for certain parameters, theres usually changes to the sound. Of course, there will be times where we cant hear the differences, not that theres no changes, but our hearing cant detect it.

Anyway, imho, the technical know how of using effect pedals is not difficult, but what is difficult, is the context of usage and the combination of instrument, amps thats being used with the effect pedals that make it, not difficult, but instead, no compatible.

So, in your view, what make an effect pedal, difficult to use or is it just not compatible/suitable for the context which you are using it?

In response to the hoohah about "beginner" pedals, I have no problem saying one pedal is more suitable or easier for beginners. It's not just about the number of switches and knobs, but about the intended use.

If someone is clearly new, not just to effects pedals, but to playing music at all, like many visitors here who are picking up electric guitar for the first time, I will definitely not recommend a $300 distortion even if I think it's the best in achieving the sound he wants. Two reasons:
1) keep costs low, so he can resell and have more opportunities to try different pedals,
2) keep it simple, so he can learn in a more focused manner by self experimentation, e.g. learn the difference between gain and volume control instead of being confused by so many knobs and switches

As a newbie I would not take offence since I came seeking advice. As a slightly more experienced user I would not argue in a newbie's thread :p

But seriously though, if you want to argue about it, you can say that a boutique distortion with 6 knobs, 2 switches and 2 footswitches is not difficult to use. The knobs might be clearly labelled, the different functions should be self-explanatory, and in the end you should be using your ears. It's easy to say... but does it serve the purpose of the newbie asking for a pedal that will help him play his favourite punk song on his 15-watt practice amp and $200 guitar?

Take another extreme example, a cheap DS-1. I also would not recommend that because the usable tone range is so small, he might get a crappy sound and blame the pedal, or the amp, or give up guitar (lol).

So to answer your question, I think it's just about the context.

And another thing is, there is no need to dispel any ideas. I think analog synths are the most natural thing to use, as the sound evolves naturally by tweaking the controls. My mother would not be able to operate one at gunpoint. How to tell her it is not difficult to use?

Honestly I believe it's more to do with coaxing the MOST out of your pedals.

A beginner to guitar may not know what he truly wants from a particular pedal, but given more time, experience, as well as knowledge, he will be able to get 'better' tones from the same pedal.

I say this with respect to how I myself improve over time and how drastic my settings have changed over the few years with the same pedal. For example, my trusty DOD Delay that I've been using since 2007. I used to set it with the Repeat and Delay fairly high (on the pedal, but it still is relatively short) and the Mix fairly low, and is meant only for a solo boost.
Over time I understood how to use a delay pedal better and have several settings, for dotted 8ths, solo boosts, slap back, percussive trails thingy going on, etc.

In the same vein, can I say a pedal like the TimeFactor, or a Fuzz Factory, or a Tube Zone is appropriate for beginners? If they're adventurous enough then so be it, but over time I'm quite sure their settings will change as their playing mature. Thus I believe that they are more catered to those who are more well-informed.

It's all about getting the tool to be most efficient.

It's like reading the manual on how to use something but that doesn't mean you really know how to use it. Sometimes, the manual isn't exactly easy to understand too. i.e. compressors.

And when you get it to sound good in one context, it suddenly sounds different/bad when placed in another context... good at home, lost in the recording mix and too noisy on the live stage.

So pathein, you nailed both points.

Ignorance is crippling though - I've heard a SOFTie once express disappointment over how the analog octave up pedal did not sound "clean"enough.

haha, was waiting for you to come in shredy.

Oh well, have a happy chinese new year ahead. This thread prolly will sink down soon. Before that, i just want to say, theres no difficult gear, only limited imagination and music we like.

oh yeah, which analog octave is that, foxrox? Or the many octave fuzz out there

Hehe, with technology stuff, cant get anywhere, without first, RTFM! That also applies to software for music, seem pretty logical, but often overlooked.

rtfm.png

'difficult to use'- i first came across this experience when i was helping out an old-timer with a digital effect unit. apparently, he was facing some difficulties putting one into action but i managed to appease him by showing how it's done. he told me the device was difficult to use because a single touch/ turn of a button wouldn't rectify matters instantly, it will most probably get him to some patch or bank before actual manipulations could be done. that's technology as it is, yes? difficult to use? more like the lack of patience to me.

haha, was waiting for you to come in shredy.

Oh well, have a happy chinese new year ahead. This thread prolly will sink down soon. Before that, i just want to say, theres no difficult gear, only limited imagination and music we like.

oh yeah, which analog octave is that, foxrox? Or the many octave fuzz out there

You baiter you...

I always liked your attempts to educate the masses here... well, okay, not always but quite often lah. I think I'd like to coin a term for what I think you're doing here - "enducate", because I admire your endurance in education.

I agree that passion will overcome almost any difficulty... not just gear-wise but also in the motivation to make music.

It was the Foxrox Octron I reckon or some large blue box thing. It was just such an ignorant comment that I actually blurted out that analog octavia/octave pedals are not made to have a (digitally) clean octave up. Much to my disappointment, the SOFTie ignored me. Strange.

Facepalm.jpg

I think pedals are generally easy to use, just that those that are slightly more complex might require reading the manual, and/or spending a bit more time getting to understand or play around and experiment with the unit. And reading the manual is probably essential for many digital units, multi-effects processors especially. But for some reason a lot of people don't like to read manuals. Wonder why... I find manuals for guitar gear quite fun to read heh.

Somehow the thread up there somewhere got me thinking, whats so difficult about an effect pedal thats difficult to use.

There is no such thing as a pedal that's difficult to use. Just plug in, step on it, and play.

But to be able to get a good sound out of it? That's a different story.

there's no such thing as a difficult pedal. the only thing that's difficult is how to get a good sound out of it. and how to refrain yourself from buying more and more and more.........

Back