Digitech Bad Monkey

EugeneSmasher

Hi all, I recently bought a second-hand Bad Monkey that is in pretty good condition other than a few cosmetic scratches and dings. I think its certainly good as new inside, so might as well add my review. :p I've decided to do away with ratings, and simply type my mind.

BadMonkey.jpg

I shall start with build quality. Mine says Made in USA at the bottom, and certainly after a lot of inspection it looks very well made. Very solid, a bit heavy weight-wise, but solid and gives the impression that it would survive a hell of a fall.

Features-wise, this is a full-analog overdrive, and comes from Digitech's range of analog drive pedals that also includes the Death Metal and the Hothead. It is quite easy to use, having just four knobs - level, low, high and gain. My personal gripe is that there is no mids knob.

Tone-wise, this is a really bassy-sounding tube overdrive. It does not contain tubes inside, but does mimic a tube tone very well. It is very similar tone-wise to some Ibanez Tubescreamers. I usually lower the low and set the high to maximum for a more chunky, brighter overdrive tone. It has thick, fat tone and its tone appeals to me. The gain knob, when cranked to maximum, becomes soft distortion. Very versatile.

So to sum it up,

- Easy to use,
- Mixer output,
- Quite quiet,
- Wide range of gain.

Dislikes:
- Lack of scoop or mids knob,
- Knobs are stiff (though this can be a good thing).

Tested with an Ibanez GSA60 and Sound Drive SG-10 full solid-state amplifier. This pedal runs on a 9V battery or adapter.

Though I personally feel that it has a little less clarity than some other od pedals when put through an amp, I give a big thumbs up for the mixer output. It is the big reason for me to have this; last pedal in the chain for boost that takes me direct to mixer or audio interface without amp or amp emulation in between.

Can have too much bite at certain settings, but should try putting Vocals through it; the extra bite is useful for that ;)

Last edited:
Funny thing is, I don't even use it through a mixer. Mine is through an amp, but I think on lower gain it clears up a bit. I use mine as a standalone once in a while but most of the time I use it as a booster for solos. Actually makes my HM-200 sound very clear on single notes.

Quite a good OD for its price.. But the lack of a mid knob may lack appeal for some (like me)..

For those seeking a cheap yet good OD, this may be your pick.. You need something hotter? Get the Ibanez TS-7!
I almost bought this pedal.. Ended up with a Rocktron Sonic Glory because it responses better to humbuckers..

Btw, the review should follow the usual format.. :cool:

Definitely bang for buck, but for those who are interested in this pedal, look for totally awesome 2nd hand deals here on Soft. Swee Lee tends to sell this piece at $100+, but on Soft a good deal can come up and you could end up with a good condition piece at $60 (like I did :mrgreen:).

Ebenex sells it at a great price..
Ebenex Music Webstore - Digitech Bad Monkey

90 dollars for the bad monkey.. Those looking to try this pedal, do give the TS-7 and Sonic Glory a try..
They're around the same price range and offer the same array of tone..
Slightly higher budget and you can get a MXR GTR-OD or TS9-DX..
Go even higher and you can get an OM Labs Sahasrara.. (No need to go higher; settle already!) :mrgreen:

Yeah, but an Om Labs Sahasrara is definitely the better pedal in my books. The only reason I don't have one is because I need to cut down on my spending, but its worth a shot in everyone's pedalboard!

Funny thing is, I don't even use it through a mixer.

Worth trying, really. IMO, it sounds almost exactly like the demo samples on the website (when you try out the knob settings illustrated). The demo recordings are a bit louder, though, but I figured that it is a result of nothing more than post-recording normalisation of levels.

Yeah, but an Om Labs Sahasrara is definitely the better pedal in my books. The only reason I don't have one is because I need to cut down on my spending, but its worth a shot in everyone's pedalboard!

They're in different leagues, so of course the Sahasrara is superior. Higher-quality parts, etc and of course tonal superiority. But it justifies the higher price and the boutique title. Personally I like the Bad Monkey but I can't guarantee its tone is gonna appeal to me for a long time. My tastes tend to change more often than I change my underwear.

Worth trying, really. IMO, it sounds almost exactly like the demo samples on the website (when you try out the knob settings illustrated). The demo recordings are a bit louder, though, but I figured that it is a result of nothing more than post-recording normalisation of levels.

I don't normally like to rely on demo recordings on websites because they're able to easily modify the sound and 'improve' it. The best way I feel is to try the pedal out in person, but youtube video reviews are pretty accurate sometimes.

Back