DI BOX and Limiter pedal QNS

tapfit

Hey guys just wondering. I have a sansamp bass driver DI . was just wondering is it necessary to get a bass limiter/compressor. Was thinking of getting a Boss bass limiter enhancer to regulate my slapping. and if is necessary shld the pedal come before or after the DI box in terms of placement.

Cheers and thanks
tap

If you think you need it just get it. =) ...

Instead of telling you where to put your pedal in your signal chain let me give you a headstart with pedal chaining/position.

Just imagine your signal from your bass as a straight line. It goes through several pedals and understanding what each pedal does will determine where you place them. So let's say you have a compressor and a distortion pedal. Do you want to distort the compressed signal or compress the distorted signal. Can you see where i'm coming from so far? It's a simple start. There are alot of ways to do it but getting down the basic signal chain will go a long way.

Have fun bro!

cheers

Got it . well i used to have my DI box infront of all the pedals which is recommend by the manual but guess it was wrong it ended up shitty. got your point bro.

Cheers
tap

seems like every manual recommends their pedal to be the first in the chain.

but just to clarify,

"A DI unit, DI box, Direct Box or simply DI is an electronic device that connects a high impedance, line level, unbalanced output signal to a low impedance mic level balanced input usually via XLR connector.
DIs are frequently used to connect an electric guitar or electric bass to a mixing console's microphone input."

calling the sansamp a DI can probably be figured out, but to someone who is familiar with mixers and PA setups it can be confusing. it is more accurate to call it a preamp. a preamp provides equalisation as well as a buffer. the sansamp is in fact a preamp with a built-in DI, or vice-versa, whichever way you put it.

the reason why this is important here is because if you use the DI function of the sansamp or whatever preamp you use, you would put it after all of your effects, or last in your chain. this is so that the effected signal goes into the soundboard. everything after the DI obviously does not go into the soundboard. in many instances, people who use DIs do not use amps.

frankly speaking putting your preamp before or after your chain doesn't make a difference. however, some effects would benefit from the buffer being placed before it because they work better with a strong input signal.

Last edited:
Hmm

Thanks for the quote. Well,it did sure it helps for me. as it makes the sound fuller and one thing i love about it . is that is able to transfigure the bass amp and blend in with a fuller sound without the hassle of adjusting those freaking so many knobs on the amps. You know how painful it is to figure out the bass amp you using, esp. when you are jamming or having a gig at different places.
BTW i had changed my set up with the DI box, i realize having all the pedal before the DI. really helps. U could really regulate the sound that you one with your DI as a booster and enhancing which ever effects you are using.
guess you got to hear it to believe it. Well at least it works for me.

cheers
tap

Back