Dhol Drumming

hand drummer

New and attended some new basic lessons in Dhol Drumming. Looking forward to other Dhol Drummers in softies that can share their views and experiences on how to improve on the stick work technique and some basic useful tips on how to improve further on regular Dhol drumming rudiments exercise in acquiring speed.

What's Dhol Drumming Bro?...

Dhol is an Northern Indian drum made from a large wooden shell. Started in province of Punjab. A double sided barrel drum played mostly as an accompanying instrument to the traditional Punjabi dance of Bhangra - in Wedding and other traditional celebration or ceremony. The Dhol has 2 heads - Dhamma, which produces a heavier sound and the other side Purha on the high note. It is played using 2 sticks the slightly curved stick - the dagga on the heavier side of the drum and the Thili, cane treble on the higher note of the drum. The two wooden sticks usually made of bamboo and cane wood.

Rope is woven through the edge of both the skins and they are tensioned to produce a bass and treble sound. This is a cord mechanism for tightening - tuning of the drum.

Understand during Summer, the people of Punjab would celebrate a good harvest by dancing and singing songs to the sound of the Dhol and the Tumbi, meaning King, a single instrument plucked and fingered at the neck. The people will celebrate and dance with folk lyrics with plenty of food and drinks in the celebration.

Hope that with above mentioned short intro, could share with others in this post.

Dhol Foundation

Here's the famous Dhol Foundation.. Johnny Kalsi the man!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B-wDn-PpINc

Johnny Kalsi - A Fantastic Dhol player. Attended one of his workshop at Womad Singapore - 2007 Tenth Anniversay at Fort Canning (World Music Art and Dance Festival or www.womadsingapore.com) Thats gets me into Dhol Drumming. I like his style of Dhol drumming - Precision, Power together with Speed and Good Showmanship.

Glad to see there's dholis here too.

Basically for dhol, there is no shortcut. Clarity, speed and volume comes with practice.

The first thing is knowing the right bols (beats)
Then practise it slowly and increase speed gradually.

Handspeed will come naturally. There is a beat which is also known as a practicing beat and basically its the na na ge ge. You might already know this. And simple as it is, its actually very helpful. Usually practising this not only improves coordination but its also a good warm up and it sounds awesome when played at laggi speed.

Actually if you practise the basic beats, you should gradually increase speed but only do that if you get the beats right. Its important to know the swing. Everything else will come in time.

Also to improve stamina, i know some UK/US dholis who actually use the hand squeezing thinggy, i donno what its called but u hold this thing and u squeeze it and it offers some resistance and it improves the power of your finger, wrists and forearms. Do it regularly and you'll see the results.

Rgds,

Are there any classes conducted in Singapore for learning the Dhol ??

Glad to see there's dholis here too.

Basically for dhol, there is no shortcut. Clarity, speed and volume comes with practice.

The first thing is knowing the right bols (beats)
Then practise it slowly and increase speed gradually.

Handspeed will come naturally. There is a beat which is also known as a practicing beat and basically its the na na ge ge. You might already know this. And simple as it is, its actually very helpful. Usually practising this not only improves coordination but its also a good warm up and it sounds awesome when played at laggi speed.

Actually if you practise the basic beats, you should gradually increase speed but only do that if you get the beats right. Its important to know the swing. Everything else will come in time.

Also to improve stamina, i know some UK/US dholis who actually use the hand squeezing thinggy, i donno what its called but u hold this thing and u squeeze it and it offers some resistance and it improves the power of your finger, wrists and forearms. Do it regularly and you'll see the results.

Rgds,

Beginner Dhol classes

Come January, 2008 - Dhol Federation will be starting another new beginner class for Dhol. Will PM you once final class details are available. Students need to buy their own Dhol drum to join the class. Sighted that there is a Indian Classical Music Shop in Little India that sell Dhol Drum. Perhaps you might like to check it up. I got mine thru a good friend, imported directly from India, a red sheesham wood Dhol, treated, re-string with a high pitch drum head mouting on tilli side. There are the basic mango wood dhol which is retailing around s$250.00. I have seen a couple of mango wood Dhol in black color. Personally I don't like black color body, as it is very difficult to spot cracks and patch work on the shelf. Suggest check it out with shops locally and with some dhol owner firends for some feedback before buying so that no regret later.

actually, when buying a new dhol, it should never be painted. Lacquered ok. but not painted. becos you can still see the dhol wood with lacquer to check for cracks etc. Basically the wood needs a protective coating to prevent it from drying. So what i do is when i get a dhol that is lacquered, i strip off the bass, rope, treble and all and sand the dhol. Strip the lacquer off and sand the wood and coat with a couple of coats (5 coats on the outside and 2 inside, once every 2 hours) of Linseed oil (which you can get in Brash basah) leave it to dry for a few days. Thats the best.

Also when buying a new dhol, the most important thing would be to check the inside. Take off the treble and check the inside for cracks or wood fillers.

also, my personal opinion, nvr get a dhol from websites and get it shipped without physically going down to look at it. Retailers can promise you the world but eventually, what you see/hear is not wat you get. If you have the opportunity, get one personally from India or ask a relative get one from you.
Otherwise, ask around the people who already play the dhol and see if they have any to sell.

My 2 cents for those wanting to buy a dhol.

Last edited:
teak wood Dhol

I heard that teak wood is one of the best for the Dhol body. But I had weight problem and cannot carry too heavy load on my shoulder. My body too cannot take too heavy load. Is there a light and hard wood that can be equivalent to teak for the Dhol body ? I am a beginner and found that the plastic tilli and dagga can be slippery went my hand sweat and it slip off during drumming. Wonder whats the different between the one made of cane as compare to the plastic ones.

actually, when buying a new dhol, it should never be painted. Lacquered ok. but not painted. becos you can still see the dhol wood with lacquer to check for cracks etc. Basically the wood needs a protective coating to prevent it from drying. So what i do is when i get a dhol that is lacquered, i strip off the bass, rope, treble and all and sand the dhol. Strip the lacquer off and sand the wood and coat with a couple of coats (5 coats on the outside and 2 inside, once every 2 hours) of Linseed oil (which you can get in Brash basah) leave it to dry for a few days. Thats the best.

Also when buying a new dhol, the most important thing would be to check the inside. Take off the treble and check the inside for cracks or wood fillers.

also, my personal opinion, nvr get a dhol from websites and get it shipped without physically going down to look at it. Retailers can promise you the world but eventually, what you see/hear is not wat you get. If you have the opportunity, get one personally from India or ask a relative get one from you.
Otherwise, ask around the people who already play the dhol and see if they have any to sell.

My 2 cents for those wanting to buy a dhol.

Hello bro,
Basically teak would be good for a dhol but like u said, its too heavy. Taali wood is very good wood but the thing with taali is that they have different grades. Some are heavier while some are lighter. Some are denser which others not. The best way would be to go to India, go to an established shop in Amroha/Punjab and get a dhol. You can then choose the barrell you like etc etc and have them custom-build one for you.
(I have a friend from Toronto, who has a dhol that looks so so sexy, it sounds awesome and its so so light. Its mixed taali wood and he got it from India.)

Some dholis might think that certain woods are "lower quality" but i've played a mango wood (ambh) dhol that sounds as good or even better than a taali dhol. Its all about trying the different dhols and finding one which suits u the most.

As for your question about plastic tillis : i personally dont use a plastic tilli (even though i have tried them before) but i dun think there is anything wrong in using one. My personal opinion is, as long as the music that comes out from your dhol is beautiful and proper (and it doesnt damage your dhol), it doesnt matter what you use.

The difference between a plastic tilli and a cane one would be, plastic tillis are more flimsy and like you said slippery. Its not as shiok (in my humble opinion) as a cane tilli. I usually buy normal canes (the kind aunties use to whack notti little children) and then shape it to the size, thickness and roundness that I like.

rgds,

P.S. always remember when doing anything, always make sure some1 experienced is physically with you.

Buying a dhol drum

Dear EthnicD,

Many Thanks for the valuable info. I am interested to know more about the Taali wood. Beside India, can taali trees be found within SE Asia countries ? Reckon much eaiser to buy the barrel/body within SEA than to fly to India - Punjab so far away. Being a Chinaman and cannot speak their language - Problem - Problem - Lah.

Light Taali wood - this is the drum barrel that will suit me best !!!

Not sure of Amroha/Punjab is this place very far away ? Is this a tourist city or a rural area ?

Cheers.........Hand Drummer

Hello bro,
Basically teak would be good for a dhol but like u said, its too heavy. Taali wood is very good wood but the thing with taali is that they have different grades. Some are heavier while some are lighter. Some are denser which others not. The best way would be to go to India, go to an established shop in Amroha/Punjab and get a dhol. You can then choose the barrell you like etc etc and have them custom-build one for you.
(I have a friend from Toronto, who has a dhol that looks so so sexy, it sounds awesome and its so so light. Its mixed taali wood and he got it from India.)

Some dholis might think that certain woods are "lower quality" but i've played a mango wood (ambh) dhol that sounds as good or even better than a taali dhol. Its all about trying the different dhols and finding one which suits u the most.

As for your question about plastic tillis : i personally dont use a plastic tilli (even though i have tried them before) but i dun think there is anything wrong in using one. My personal opinion is, as long as the music that comes out from your dhol is beautiful and proper (and it doesnt damage your dhol), it doesnt matter what you use.

The difference between a plastic tilli and a cane one would be, plastic tillis are more flimsy and like you said slippery. Its not as shiok (in my humble opinion) as a cane tilli. I usually buy normal canes (the kind aunties use to whack notti little children) and then shape it to the size, thickness and roundness that I like.

rgds,

P.S. always remember when doing anything, always make sure some1 experienced is physically with you.

hello dude.

Amroha/Punjab are both in India. Its a cool place to go to. You'll meet lots of local drummers there.

Well the thing is u can get the wood in Indonesia but it'll just be a block of wood and u have to tell the fellas to shape it to look like a dhol. To smoothen the outsides, to remove the inside. to ensure that there's a curve at the edges etc etc. It's gonna be very tough and might cost you a bomb. Also communication might be a problem. You might request for a taali/dark rosewood/mahogany tree but due to miscommunication, you might get an angsana tree instead. hahaha. So be prepared.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Taali Wood Dhol

hello dude.

Amroha/Punjab are both in India. Its a cool place to go to. You'll meet lots of local drummers there.

Well the thing is u can get the wood in Indonesia but it'll just be a block of wood and u have to tell the fellas to shape it to look like a dhol. To smoothen the outsides, to remove the inside. to ensure that there's a curve at the edges etc etc. It's gonna be very tough and might cost you a bomb. Also communication might be a problem. You might request for a taali/dark rosewood/mahogany tree but due to miscommunication, you might get an angsana tree instead. hahaha. So be prepared.

Good luck.

EthicD,

Oh my God.........I don't want angsana tree wood !!! Looks like have to save and plan for a holiday visit to Amroha / Punjab. By chance have you any plans to visit Amroha ?

Hand Drummer.

Dhol classes

Reviving from existing dhol thread - just to share with other soft members who are interested in dhol drumming. Understand the Singapore Dhol Frederation will be starting new intake in July, 2008. Interested Softies can PM for contact with SDF.

Hand drummer

Punjabi Folk Music Event

Dear Soft members,

Pls to update the coming event :

Punjabi Folk Music @ SKA
Date : March 1, 2009 (Sunday)
Time : 3 to 6 pm
PLace : Singapore Khalsa Association
Level 2
No 2, Tessenshon Road
Singapore 217646
SKA telephone : 62981230 or 62986206

This is Free Community event, an event not to be missed.

For more details : pls see -
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...128012&email=b1387b53ae674b4f7a1100406bf4319e

Featuring - Sher-e Punjab, Arvinder Singh Raina, Keeran D (Dhol Federation of Malaysia) & Singapore Dhol Federation

Proudly brought to U by :
Singapore Dhol Federation
Dhol Federation of Malaysia
Dhol Productions
Singapore Khalsa Association

Last edited:
Hand drummer :-

I find the plastic tilli (was it?) too loud and too stiff...I prefer the cane ones where it gives some sorta soft rebound....

Cheers

Bazma

Last edited:
Back