definition - mint condition

bigblackbear

there are many ppl in the buy and sell section who claim their items are MINT ...

and then go on to say

"but with small scrath"
or give a rating of 9.5
or worse still, they claim it's mint and then it appears to have rust/scratches etc when you meet up with them.

as quoted from wikipeda...

"Mint condition is often used to describe a collectible item such as a model figure, doll, or toy that has never been removed from its box (NRFB), or in some cases is as good as new without any scratches or other damage. "

please fellow softies, don't use the word mint if it isnt.

Yerp, me too feel that the word "mint" has been rather abused in the buy/sell section. Sales tactic i guess.

hahah, true true.

just saying though, that u shudn't trust wikipedia just like that, because wikipedia is often wrong.

good as a reference point, but don't take it as it is

Mint.

–noun
1. any aromatic herb of the genus Mentha, having opposite leaves and small, whorled flowers, as the spearmint and peppermint. Compare mint family.
2. a soft or hard confection, often shaped like a wafer, that is usually flavored with peppermint and often served after lunch or dinner.
3. any of various flavored hard candies packaged as a roll of small round wafers.
–adjective
4. made or flavored with mint: mint tea.

this term has been abused since before the last economy crisis till the current one and beyond.

no sweat. mint = no meaning.

my guitar is mint like how u will get 1st hand form shop

etc etc

but there is some small ding on the headstock and i got it 2nd hand from cash converters

Mint.

–noun
1. any aromatic herb of the genus Mentha, having opposite leaves and small, whorled flowers, as the spearmint and peppermint. Compare mint family.
2. a soft or hard confection, often shaped like a wafer, that is usually flavored with peppermint and often served after lunch or dinner.
3. any of various flavored hard candies packaged as a roll of small round wafers.
–adjective
4. made or flavored with mint: mint tea.

So every gear we buy must lick isit? :lol:

Yup.
Ive experience this so called mint condition from a reputable seller here.
HE posted mint condition 9.9/10

When i saw it. Pickup poles were rusted. saddles where rusted.
I was so pissed but i didnt want to go back on my word when i gave it when i thought the guitar was really mint.

so guys.
Beware out there.

I once met a seller whoose advertised mint fender tuning heads had DENTS in 2 of them ..... no wonder he was keen to do fast deal ... I had to scrutinize each piece ....

No point believing soft posters' claims of 'mint condition' products in the buy/sell. We all know it for a fact that more often than not, it is simply used to make the viewers feel more compelled to buy.

I know of people who own guitar pedals for 1-2 years, although it is in good working condition and all, they still manage to sell it off at a price just lower than its first hand value.

i use the word mint in my sales only when the item really can be placed next to a brand new one and you couldn't tell the difference EXCEPT the oxidisation of the screws for its age... oh but that would make the condition 9.999 eh.

When you're buying something big or expensive like a guitar or a large multi-effects, etc... Ask to test it out first. If the seller agrees, you'll roughly know that the seller's honest. Always ask to test it out first.

That way, you have the final say in deciding if something is in mint condition, or not.

I came across threads like the ones mentioned as an example before. Had wanted to buy a Digitech Grunge pedal from someone and he mentioned in his post that it's mint with 10/10 condition. But he also added there's rust at the input jack and a chip at one corner.

So I was trying to bring down the price that I thought is pretty fair highlighting to the person the cosmetic conditions isn't exactly mint. He insisted that it is mint and refused to bring the price down (which is not that far off from getting the pedal brand new).

Needless to say that I never dealt the deal. Thank God to that too, cos I listened to the pedal again now and it sounds like turd.

One of the best true to mint purchases I did over Soft was a Digitech Death Metal pedal. I would like to describe it as "newer than new". In excellent condition, absolutely flawless... and was sold at only $40 :twisted:

^ good to see positive experiences being shared as well as people complaining about misrepresentation of products (which is also valid).

There are genuine mint condition items being sold out there, often for reasonable prices. But yes, agree, there are many that are claimed 'mint' when they are merely 'excellent/vgc' - sometimes worse. Up to the buyer to decide on the spot - always examine thoroughly and don't feel embarassed to pull out of a deal even when you meet the seller if it is not as mint as you expect.

Back