computer specs for recording

Dale

went to sim lim and surveyed some computers and was wondering what specs i need to do recording.
for now im only doing guitars tracks. 2 tracks simultaneously. but i intend to do 16 tracks drums recording too in the near future.

so here are some of the specs i've got:
intel dual core 2.8GHz processor
intel G41-D3 chip mainboard
4GB DDR3 ram
500GB hard disk
6 USB 2.0, 6CH audio,G.Lan

what other specs should i ask for?
and are those specs enough for the recording i intend to do?
i'm planning to get the DIY computer kinda thing...

any computer experts out there could help me out....
ths :)

No problem for 16 track 24bit recording. Maybe you should look at Sonar X1. Or Protools 9 if you intend to grab some project. But why you wanna C2D processor?

if you plan to do any mic-ing, especially using condensor mics, you might wanna consider how much noise your cpu will generate.

you didn't mention this, but if you're gonna use sample libraries, it's better to get two separate hard disks. even for tracking alone, one drive for your apps and another for audio is preferable.

have fun recording (and troubleshooting all the bugs that will surely occur :p)

kongwee: actually i dont know anything abt the C2D. its 1 of the spec i saw from the papers they gave me at sim lim. u got a better spec to share?

senn_liu: yea im doing mic-ing. i have a saperate room for the mics. what do u mean by sample libraries? and can i use the 2 hard disk at the same time?

Sampling (or multisample) is basically playing musical instruments that are sampled note by note. This include any kind of instruments you know of - from the violin to the drum set. It takes up not only HD space, but also commands a lot of HD power (ie dedicated HD). If you are not going into that area, you don't have to worry about it since adding an extra HD in the future is simple.

I would suggest you considering 8 GB RAM in 64-bit W7 environment. If you are going to do 16 tracks + processing in individual track, additional RAM will help. Definitely a second hard drive just for recording (which isn't expensive), and one for you OS/data storage. The recording HD doesn't have to have a large storage capacity. Once your track is completed, you can always move it to the storage HD, freeing up the space again. Definitely go for 64-bit. If you want to cut cost and only want 4GB RAM (which should suffice for you needs currently), then get 2x2GB RAM instead of 4x1GB RAM (depending on how many slots your mobo has). This frees up empty slots for upgrading of your RAM in the future. Otherwise when you want to upgrade to 8GB, you need to change all your RAM again. If you ask me, I would just max out to 8GB RAM in 64-bit environment.

kongwee: actually i dont know anything abt the C2D. its 1 of the spec i saw from the papers they gave me at sim lim. u got a better spec to share?

Well, C2D processor is go to phase off. At least in desktop area. Do look at the generation of the processor. I never chase the CPU.But I think the latest batch of processor are base on Sandy Bridge processor,cos I saw the benchmark test appear. I think these processor are i3,i5,i7.

Hmm...for now, im thinking mayb ard 500? I dont know if thats possible but it would be great if i can get it ard that price.

Dale : you can spend all the money you have or you are going to have when your pay comes in , but a decision must be made on your computer system, either you go bare minimals (which I'm thinking your old laptop isn't cutting it thats why you're planning on a desktop) or you can go powerhouse like all the other softies here have stated. believe it or not, personally my own studio PC which I'm using is crappier than the new one stated below. I personally don't believe in getting now, upgrade later, either you get minimal, or you one time gao gao get luxury hehe.

http://fuwell.com.sg/ - my favourite shop ever since they opened at simlim square, under Get Price List

Intel LGA775 CPU + Mainboard Bundle : (on the pdf it's bottom left)
E6700 + Asus P5KPL-AM SE G31 (make sure there's onboard VGA and MUST BE ASUS BRAND!) = $180
Seagate 1TB hdd : $82
Ram (get them to recommend the one which the speed fits with the mainboard, kingston lifetime warranty pls.) : $53+/- 2gb
Andyson Silent G 530W power supply : $75
Coolermaster Casing under $100.
LG Dvd writer $27

because most of the prices I've stated are estimates pluses and minuses, consider getting 4gb ram. (another 2gb) like you don't need 1tb hdd, go for 500gb, then contribute into the ram, or got old dvd writer, ditch it etc. if you still have your old computer's OS cd then you can save on that.

--

my recording laptop (for 8 tracks drums) : 1.66ghz Core2Duo, 2gb ram. 5400rpm hdd.
my mixing DAW desktop : 2.4ghz Core2Duo E6600 , 2gb ram , 7200rpm normal SATA hdd. but hdd space I got about 7TB
windows xp 32bit OS.

problems? nope, secret behind shit specs? a very good habit of maintenance. defrag,backup, no games nonsense etc.

what senn_liu has said bout the noise from CPU is very true except I use a very simple method of : go into BIOS/CMOS setup, under hardware/fans, set to ultra silent mode (a.k.a slow down the speed of the fans) , although your hdd will get warmer than usual, but hey if you're only recording vocals on a sensitive condenser, it's 1 track better than 8-16 tracks dynamics (overheads condenser) mics which aren't going to pick up much from your cpu. have your aircon remote beside you, turn off before recording. done. when you're mixing, better remember set the fans to performance mode.

Likui : what audio interface ? buffer sample rate? how much ram? any active plugins? what OS? how well is your OS maintenance? what other stuff you have installed in there?

I remember working Sonar 7.02 on cheap desktop around $700 . Spec is 2.4 Dual Core, 2Ram, Windows XP. I can't get it work above 30 min with all my might. It just hang. While I get to work with a $1800 branded laptop single core 1.8ghz with 2 ram with Sonar 7.02, I can generate 6 bundle soft synth track and two stereo recording sample track from my workstation keyboard and complete my homework.

sorry for the late reply.

sample libraries are collections of short audio files that are played back after you have programmed what/how you want to play. just for example, you might have a sample library of drum sounds, which you can arrange into a full drum track via MIDI programming.

since you don't know what they are, i doubt you're gonna be using them.

but yes, all your hard disks will be working at the same time. since your budget is on the low side, i guess you can make do with just one hard disk, and add another one in future if you think you need it.

Back