Comments from Gig Organizers?

MaCcA

What do u guys think of a self-managed online ticketing system that allows you to collect payment through the net and support self-print tickets?

It could save a lot of logistical hassles (time) for those who have been handling ticketing on their own and also allow u to keep track of your attendance status and your attendees.

Yes there will be costs involved in the system but it'll be minimal.

Top that off with being able to market your event on the event listing, interact with your attendees, and sell your tickets through a single platform.

That's the idea in a nutshell, hope I can get some feedback be it positive or negative =)

Cheers!

Me not gig organiser but just my few cents' worth. Creating the system is not difficult. The difficult part is security and fraud protection. There are existing technology for these e-ticketing system but not cheap.

Currently in Singapore, there are sistic.com.sg , tdc.sg , bytes.sg , gatecrash.com.sg and a few I can't remember off hand.

How to do cheaper and securely? It is a big market.

Did you went for echelon 2010? They used http://www.amiando.com/

Thanks for the feedback James! Yes these are 2 issues when we talk about e-ticketing. The more expensive the ticket, the more likely fraud and security questions will come into the picture. That is why we hope this could be more useful to small/medium gig organizers whereby people would be less likely to go through the trouble of committing these acts.

Bar-code measures are also in place to ensure a single entry per ticket.

The ticketing agents mentioned above are well-established and are well-positioned for the big events, but what about the small-timers who really, are the ones that require more marketing and simple logistical solutions? These are the people who we really hope to facilitate. With a proper platform for event marketing and ticketing logistics both at the same time, we hope these gigs can have a greater reach and become more efficient =)

We really appreciate these feedback and doubts and hope to hear more from you guys!

I think it's a great idea, although I'm not a gig organiser. But sometimes when people tell me I have to go to Straits to buy tickets or some other not so accessible location (read: near MRT, hehe) I get lazy and forget about it. Also, it might make the gig seem more "credible"? Like I think people would trust something that said "log on to www.XXXXXX to buy tickets" than "call 12345678 for your tickets and ask for Benny" (er, sorry, dunno if there are any Bennys out there doing this - no offence that was the first name that popped into my head).
But you know, it just looks more pro lah.
But security and fraud will be a concern no matter what. Still, this will definitely resolve certain problems for gig organisers, yes?
Actually, this could be something that our Arts NMP can help to address too. Not just about security but the setting up of a "centre" (virtual or otherwise) where all music industry people can go to for their needs and questions. And sorry, but sadly NAC is not the answer at the moment.

Thanks for the positive comments Chris! Putting the system in place should be fairly easy...but it will depend a lot on the willingness of organizers to embrace this new system....I think that will be the key challenge

I'm not sure if I would say that the other ticketing operators are "big"... SISTIC has a pretty tight grip on the industry in Singapore.

You might want to take a look at what OneTicketHub is doing. They're pretty new. I'd hardly consider them "well-established or well-positioned for big events": http://www.onetickethub.com/merchant.php/

A drop of tear dripped from the right corner of my eye when I read that SISTIC was fined $1 million.

If you have ever worked with them, you might have that drop of tear too...

We tried this self-printing tix at a couple of gigs in the states& yea James' point about fraud was on the nose. It's hard to keep track& to implement a barcode tracking tool, when it came to screening wasn't much of a success.

But still if you can workout a feasible cost - as smiall/medium ogranizers would I reckon have a slight problem with - then it can work.

The cost I anticipate could be around 1% of the ticket price for each ticket sold through the system...but we're open to feedback for what you guys deem as reasonable =)

Back